ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

making an Adjustment layer not effect a layer??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Linthicum
making an Adjustment layer not effect a layer??
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:19:20 pm

I thought there was a way you could make a layer not be effected by an adjustment layer? I remember this functionality was added in AE a few years ago.

Anyone know how to do this, cant find it in the manual.

Thanks Mark

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: making an Adjustment layer not effect a layer??
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:28:18 pm

The reason you can't find it in the manual is because your memory is faulty, or you were misinformed. Adjustment layers still affect all layers beneath them in the timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 22, 2010 at 9:45:18 pm

Dave is right. Perhaps it will help to understand how adjustment layers work:

An adjustment layer works by rendering all of the layers beneath it into a single composite and then applying an effect to that composite.

So, from this, you can see that it doesn't really make any sense to think of one of the layers beneath an adjustment layer being excluded. The adjustment layer doesn't see individual layers at all; it just sees the one composite image that it's operating on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Jan 4, 2012 at 11:45:38 pm

It would be nice to have an adjustment layer not affect a specific layer beneath, like some footage for a key.

Brandon Morris
http://www.brandonmorris.com

Canon T2i
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM 10.6

Return to posts index

Stan Becker
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:03:38 am

Just precompose the adjustment layer with all layers you want it to effect.

Return to posts index

John Drago
on Feb 9, 2012 at 4:09:54 pm

I was looking for that exact solution. I needed the adjustment layer to affect only the layer beneath it (for hue color changes) and that worked perfectly - just pre-compose the adjustment layer along with the layer you need "adjusted" and it will work anywhere in the layer stack without affecting anything else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]