ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

A tricky keying problem (bright sky -> cloudy sky)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris TomkinsA tricky keying problem (bright sky -> cloudy sky)
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 11:00:51 am

I'm just working on a short film in which there is a scene where the main character is running away from a house as storm clouds roll in.

Unfortunately the sky was quite bright on the shooting day (even though it was after sunset), and the trees are very spindly.

Anyone got any thoughts on the best way of comping my cloud footage into the sky in this shot?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: A tricky keying problem (bright sky -> cloudy sky)
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 2:32:03 pm

I'd draw a garbage mask to keep from including the bright windows, and then I'd use a luma key to isolate the sky.

There are some other tips for keying work here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: A tricky keying problem (bright sky -> cloudy sky)
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 2:34:09 pm

Hi, First of all if it is not a shaky footage by shooting I think I have solved it. I have copied your footage caps and have tried this: (just the that scene) open the footage in a new comp. duplicate, make above layer pre-comp. open in new window by moving all attributes. then drop your sky footage or image whatever and place it above the footage. use blending option darken. White places will be seen as your sky. And also you can use for much more correcting a mask options by using feather and mask expansion. Here is the result:

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: A tricky keying problem (bright sky -> cloudy sky)
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 8:35:09 pm

Here is a weather replacement tutorial:
Part one
Part two
Part three

And here are some sky replacement techniques:
Basic tutorial
More advanced

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved