ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to import layered .PSD file with vector masks to AE (CS4)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CrassTrying to import layered .PSD file with vector masks to AE (CS4)
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:31:29 pm

I'm pretty new to the world of motion graphics and Adobe products, so this may be an easy one. (Using CS4)

I'm trying to import a .PSD file, that includes several layers, into AE. Essentially, the main image is a map of the US with several layers colored at 50% transparency to highlight individual states that I've set as vector masks. I want to be able to animate the layers individually within AE but when I import the .PSD file into AE, instead of showing up as the colored shapes I created in PS, the layers show up as solid colors that are the size of my composition...and without the transparency I set in PS.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong so any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Trying to import layered .PSD file with vector masks to AE (CS4)
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 11:52:28 pm

If you want to use your layers at their original, individual sizes, then import the PSD file as a composition using the Composition - Cropped Layers option, as described on this page.

There's more information about preparing and import PSD file from Photoshop into After Effects on this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

David CrassRe: Trying to import layered .PSD file with vector masks to AE (CS4)
by on Mar 21, 2010 at 4:29:54 pm

Thanks Todd. I tried that and I'm still having the same issue...is there maybe something I don't have set up correctly in either AE or PS? What settings should I check to insure compatibility?

Return to posts index

David CrassRe: Trying to import layered .PSD file with vector masks to AE (CS4)
by on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:55:18 pm

I figured it out...had to rasterize all the vector mask layers before importing to AE.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Trying to import layered .PSD file with vector masks to AE (CS4)
by on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:25:53 pm

[David Crass] "I figured it out...had to rasterize all the vector mask layers before importing to AE"

Photoshop vector masks don't play nice with AE. Although usually you should get transparency with them (it sounded like you weren't) they are not editable and fairly clumsy if you ask me.

What you can do is copy and paste vectors from Illustrator into AE. If you paste these vectors onto a solid layer they will come in as masks. If you past them into the 'Path' property of a free form shape layer then you can use the vectors in a shape layer.

These are the only ways I'm aware of to maintain vectors that can be edited in AE.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dennis WhiteheadRe: Trying to import layered .PSD file with vector masks to AE (CS4)
by on May 9, 2012 at 4:49:34 pm

A bit off-topic for AE and video applications but I have a logo that appears with a transparent background in Photoshop but when I try saving as an EPS or export to AI for Vector, the transparent background becomes solid white in both cases.

How can I maintain background transparency throughout?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]