ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

1080p to dv-ntsc

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Chung1080p to dv-ntsc
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:48:32 pm

Hello All,

I have some 1080p clips in the cineform codec which I am looking to turn into dv-ntsc and dvcpro-hd. However, I'm a bit stuck. I'm using AE CS4.

I started with the dv-ntsc. I
1. created a ntsc widescreen comp but kept the framerate 23.976
2. dragged in my 1080p comp and scaled it down
3. set the output to lower field first wwssw
4. set the codec to dv/dvcpro ntsc interlaced
and rendered. the quality looks quite poor. am i doing something wrong?

with dvcpro-hd
when setting the compression type for quick time movies, I don't see an option for dvcpro-hd. Am I missing something?

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 1080p to dv-ntsc
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:16:27 pm

what's your destination for these clips? i'm asking because dv is not the greatest quality, so, if you can avoid compressing to dv at this point you may be better off.

plus, i believe that a quicktime wrapped dvcprohd will only be readable by a mac with fcp installed... i know the dvcprohd quicktime component used to only be shipped with fcp, and i don't think that apple has made it a standard part of quicktime yet (which is probably why it's not available as a qt codec when you render). so these clips would only be good if the destination is fcp...

however, for the dv renders, if you are viewing them in quicktime player and the look bad, try bringing them back into ae an preview them. if the look good in ae, then there is a setting in quicktime that you need to set to preview in full quality. in the quicktime prefs, there is a checkbox option called 'use high quality preview', or something like that. check that option and the dv should look better.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Matthew ChungRe: 1080p to dv-ntsc
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:08:59 pm

Hi Kevin,

thanks for responding. To answer the first question, the destination is based on the the distributors requirements (my first feature flick to get distribution)

• For Standard Def versions, files must be in Quicktime DV-NTSC codec, Highest Quality
• For High Def versions, files must be in Quicktime DVCPRO-HD codec, Highest Quality

am I understanding his request correctly?

Return to posts index

Greg RobbinsRe: 1080p to dv-ntsc
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:44:17 pm

Also After Effects is not a compressing program. And should not be using as one. AE is used to produce the highest quality file format and then use a different outside program to compress like Adobe Media Encoder or Apple Compressor ect.

Return to posts index

Matthew ChungRe: 1080p to dv-ntsc
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 5:09:50 pm

Thank you Greg. I will do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved