ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Grid Anti-aliasing Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Nieto
Grid Anti-aliasing Issues
on Mar 19, 2010 at 11:09:38 am

Greetings demiurgic bovines,

I'm using a combination of the Grid and Motion Tile effects to create a 3D mesh floor. I'm finding some nasty aliasing occuring as the grid stretches out towards the horizons. I've tried a few things to avoid it, including feathering the grid, using the depth of field option on the 3D Camera and trying a sort of psuedo over-sampling thing by precomping everything at twice the resolution. No dice, still getting yucky blocks and steps.

Is there a better way to achieve this effect, other than the obvious "use a 3D program"?

Cheers,
Tristan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Grid Anti-aliasing Issues
on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:21:31 pm

When I want to make a big grid, I use a shape layer with a rectangle and two instances of the Repeater operation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Mar 20, 2010 at 3:52:09 am

what resolution are you working at and are you field rendering the output. Both have an impact on whether something "jitters" It also has a lot to do with what type of monitor and compression you may be viewing your output at. Way to many variables to say for sure which to try first.

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Tristan Nieto
on Mar 24, 2010 at 1:17:02 pm

I'm working at PAL 16:9 Square pixels, but I rebuilt it at HD 1080 to see if it made a difference. It didn't.

The final output is progressive, so no field issues, but regardless, the issue appears in the project prior to rendering. I'm looking at an Apple iMac LCD monitor but I doubt it's a screen issue - it seems to be specific to this AE project.

Technically speaking, I wouldn't say it's "jittery" - the motion is smooth, it's just creating those weird curved bands you get when fine patterns aren't aliasing properly.

Tristan Nieto
Visual Effects & Motion Graphics
tristannieto.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]