ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Grid Anti-aliasing Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan NietoGrid Anti-aliasing Issues
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 11:09:38 am

Greetings demiurgic bovines,

I'm using a combination of the Grid and Motion Tile effects to create a 3D mesh floor. I'm finding some nasty aliasing occuring as the grid stretches out towards the horizons. I've tried a few things to avoid it, including feathering the grid, using the depth of field option on the 3D Camera and trying a sort of psuedo over-sampling thing by precomping everything at twice the resolution. No dice, still getting yucky blocks and steps.

Is there a better way to achieve this effect, other than the obvious "use a 3D program"?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Grid Anti-aliasing Issues
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:21:31 pm

When I want to make a big grid, I use a shape layer with a rectangle and two instances of the Repeater operation.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Grid Anti-aliasing Issues
by on Mar 20, 2010 at 3:52:09 am

what resolution are you working at and are you field rendering the output. Both have an impact on whether something "jitters" It also has a lot to do with what type of monitor and compression you may be viewing your output at. Way to many variables to say for sure which to try first.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Tristan NietoRe: Grid Anti-aliasing Issues
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 1:17:02 pm

I'm working at PAL 16:9 Square pixels, but I rebuilt it at HD 1080 to see if it made a difference. It didn't.

The final output is progressive, so no field issues, but regardless, the issue appears in the project prior to rendering. I'm looking at an Apple iMac LCD monitor but I doubt it's a screen issue - it seems to be specific to this AE project.

Technically speaking, I wouldn't say it's "jittery" - the motion is smooth, it's just creating those weird curved bands you get when fine patterns aren't aliasing properly.

Tristan Nieto
Visual Effects & Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved