ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

One Equalizer to Rule Them All...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes TownsendOne Equalizer to Rule Them All...
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:27:05 pm

Trying to build an equalizer. Yes, I know, Sound Keys, Convert Audio to Keyframes, Grid layer as mask, etc., etc...

The difference is I need the peaks of each column to be white, then drop slowly until that column pops up again. Standard boombox fare.

The only solution, outside of screencapping an equalizer, is a nightmare full of expressions...Dan Ebberts, where are you? :)

-Wes

Wes Townsend
Owner/Senior Designer
Garbanzo Grafix
garbanzo.tv

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: One Equalizer to Rule Them All...
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:39:41 pm

This oughta work...

Precomp your bouncin' audio bars. Choose a level at which you want them to turn white. Add an adjustment layer to this precomp. Mask it so it covers only the levels you want to turn white. Now through a combination of tint and levels effects, turn 'em white.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: One Equalizer to Rule Them All...
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 11:22:38 pm

If I'm not mistaken he means when it peaks he wants it to be white and to hold until that level peaks again. This would require different levels to be white at different times.
You could, of course, do it by hand, but I'm also going to take a wild stab in the dark that he wants this to happen automatically.
I'm not sure how to do this off the top of my head, it would require me to think. And I'm a bit past thinking at this point; it was a very creative day at work and my brain's a bit gone.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Wes TownsendRe: One Equalizer to Rule Them All...
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 11:27:08 am

Yes, not only would the top bar turn white and remain white while the other blue bars dropped, but ideally that white bar would decend slowly until the blue bar pops up again, at which point the decended white bar would dissapear, and a new white one would appear at the peak again.

I know it\'s a tall order, and I\'d be happy with the peaked white bar to remain at the top until the blue bars peaked again.

I don\'t think sound keys can do this, because it just sends a trigger at a specific height, and doesn\'t have an understand of \"maximum\" height.

Wes Townsend
Owner/Senior Designer
Garbanzo Grafix
garbanzo.tv

Return to posts index

Wes TownsendRe: One Equalizer to Rule Them All...
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:33:05 pm

Well, dodged the bullet and talked the client out of this one. The solution I went with is just precomping the soundkeys scope, then alpha-matting a blue grid on top. At the beginning and end of the music, I just adjusted the blue to white for all the bars (a fraction of a second each).

Wes Townsend
Owner/Senior Designer
Garbanzo Grafix
garbanzo.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]