ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Camera Move Looks Jittery

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek TokarAE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:39:50 pm

Hi,
I'm working on a project that requires me to do a lot of fairly simple camera moves on still photos. What I'm noticing is that some of the moves are looking subtly jittery when I render them (I'm using uncompressed renders so that I can see the clips at the best quality). Generally I'm finding that the slower moves are the most jittery, perhaps because the motion blur isn't kicking in as hard?

I'm working at 23.976 and the camera lens in my project is 35mm.

The particular segment I'm testing is just s simple slide across a photo, it's fairly slow so that you can see the image - not a quick pan. I've tried varying amounts of motion blur, I've used shutter angles between 20 and 360, up to 40 samples per frame and even tried no motion blur, but the movement still seems a little bit jittery. .

Is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner BrownleeRe: AE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:15:46 pm

[Derek Tokar] "I'm using uncompressed renders"

Are you sure your drives can handle the throughput? Render out to a more compressed codec to check where the problem is. Do your clips give the same juddery motion if you step through them frame by frame?

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Creative Color Grading with Apple Color, Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
& Mocha training for AE & FCP

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:16:19 pm

What you are describing sounds like Judder. A forum search turns up a ton of posts including this one.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:00:19 pm

[Derek Tokar] "I'm working at 23.976 and the camera lens in my project is 35mm....
Is there something else I should be considering? "

There certainly is! If you want smooth motion, don't work at 23.976!

A film frame rate is nowhere near as smooth as the faster frame rates. And if you're stuck with 23.976, then you'll probably have to live with it. You've pretty much played out your hand of tricks to smooth motion in AE... or anything else for that matter.

Hey, you live by the film frame rate... you die by the film frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Derek TokarRe: AE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:46:58 pm

Hey Guys,
Thanks a lot for the help. From what I've learned I am dealing with "judder," so one thing that I might try is changing some of the moves from horizontal slides to zooms or something else less inherently juddery. I may experiment with Timewarp as well...

Dave:
Unfortunately I have to work with 23.976, I thought that that might actually be partially to blame... I guess it's my funeral.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: AE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:06:40 pm

Misdirect! Misdirect! Add little detail movement somewhere else! Make them read something that's not moving!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:20:44 pm

Ahhh, some day I'll commit your misdirection advice to memory, Steve.

If you're stuck with bad-looking motion, it's the thing to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: AE Camera Move Looks Jittery
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 1:02:37 am

I'm the Penn Jillette of motion graphics.

Really -- we're stuck with frame rates. Is it too much to expect that there would be a limit on the smoothness of motion? Watch movies, and look at pans. Are they really that smooth? We've learned to accept it. Which Bourne movie had "paging Alberto De Piento?" Ultimatum? There's an aerial shot with some nasty judder right after that scene. Also, the main title to Inside Man (Spike Lee) had some nasty judder. Find some more examples, and the client shouldn't mind. And if they haven't noticed it, keep those examples just in case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]