ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

slow motion effect (like cold play yellow song)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April Henderson
slow motion effect (like cold play yellow song)
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:25:02 pm

Hi there! I've seen several videos where it appears the singer is singing in slow motion to his song and yet it's in time with the music.
It's a cool effect I think.

I would presume they the sped up the song then recorded the video to that song tempo and then slowed it down to the normal speed of the song.

Would this be about right? If so what percentage of song speed increase would be best?

Or is there an easier method.

Here's an example.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: slow motion effect (like cold play yellow song)
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:10:51 pm

[April Henderson] "I would presume they the sped up the song then recorded the video to that song tempo and then slowed it down to the normal speed of the song."

This is the easiest way to do that. (It would be better if you shot it at a higher frame rate (overcrank), rather than trying to do all the slow-motion in post.

What speed is "best" depends on how slow you want it to look. I once did a music video and did the song at double speed, then all you have to do is halve the speed.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:13:08 pm

[April Henderson] "I would presume they the sped up the song then recorded the video to that song tempo and then slowed it down to the normal speed of the song"

Yep, overcranking is a common trick in music videos. There's no right recipe that fits all circumstances, as different speeds create different final looks.

You will probably be constrained by your camera as to available frame rates and the artist's ability to move their lips in sync for take after take :o) It's not as easy as it looks!

All the best,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Creative Color Grading with Apple Color, Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
& Mocha training for AE & FCP

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:49:58 pm

Ben's right. Double speed is difficult enough to lip sync to. However, half speed's not really all that slow looking.

If you're looking into doing much slower than that, you might look into shooting your very overcranked footage and replacing the face with a separate shot of the words being sung at the proper speed, but that's much more difficult. (Matching the angle of the head, etc.)

A better way would be to have them practice the really fast line over and over again. It's a music video, so you're likely to not be doing the same shot for very long. If you record each line right, you can paste it all together in the edit.

One really fun thing, is a camera control rig that can follow the same exact path but at different speeds and record different band members at different speeds of the song, then composite them together. So one guy's moving in fast motion, one's normal, one's slow, one's super-slow, etc.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:33:04 pm

Hi and thanks a lot.

I'm not a pro at all, but if I get the geist of what you folks are saying, increasing the song speed by about 50%, shooting the vid, then reducing video speed by half seems to be about the simpliest idea?? Right?

When you say "overcranked" what does that mean? Does that mean a higher shutter speed? I don't have a really fantastic camera, just a sony fx1, which is pretty cool and better than nothing.

I'll just be shooting a one man band guy, but it's an excellent song, I'd love this guy's career to sky rocket!!

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:57:05 pm

[April Henderson] "...increasing the song speed by about 50%, shooting the vid, then reducing video speed by half seems to be about the simpliest idea?? Right?"

Almost. Don't increase the song speed by just 50%, increase it by 100% -- twice as fast, not 1 1/2 times as fast.

[April Henderson] "When you say "overcranked" what does that mean?"

It means shooting at a higher FRAME RATE. It has nothing to do with shutter speed. For any prosumer camera I know about, it's impossible to shoot at the frame rate you'd need.

[April Henderson] "I don't have a really fantastic camera, just a sony fx1, which is pretty cool and better than nothing. "

....and there's the problem... it only shoots interlaced video at 29.97 frames/sec. To pull this off with your rig, you'd be forced into using an AE comp set at 14.985 frames/sec. That's a REALLY LOW frame rate.

Tell you what: just animate some circles and squares bouncing around the screen in AE at that low frame rate, and see what you think of the motion. If you don't like it, you're sort of caught between a rock and a hard place.

Now, if you could put your hands on a Panasonic HVX 200, which can shoot 720p 59.94 and if you shoot to P2 cards, you'd be all set!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

sebastian brown
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:00:09 am

Im wondering what these conditions would render:

if you shoot at 60fps
with artist singing song 2x as fast

this would be the same thing (lips synced equalized by song playback speed on set but actions slow motion) right but you don't lose frames

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:36:11 am

Yes, that's right. Just interpret the frames so they playback at half the shooting speed and it will sync with the original track.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Out Now - Creative Color Grading with Apple Color, Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3

Return to posts index

sebastian brown
on Mar 24, 2010 at 11:45:40 am

Thanks for the prompt response Ben!

when you say interpret the frames that makes me think your saying take footage shot at 30fps and slow to half speed in post. If this is what your saying I understand this works great but wouldn't shooting 60fps with song sung 2x faster playing in a 30fps timeline render the same results with all full frames (no cross dissolves to create essentially non existing frames) thus a smoother slow mo while maintaining the speed and lip sync of the song...?

this seems like it would work but haven't tested has anyone had experience with this?

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:38:51 pm

[sebastian brown] "take footage shot at 30fps and slow to half speed in post"

No. That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Film at 60fps then playback at half speed in post. The settings for that are found in "Interpret Footage", which is why I used that word there. Doing it that way will give you the best results - no new pixels, no interpolation, just what you put in played back slower. A tried and tested method.

Hope that makes sense,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video

Return to posts index

sebastian brown
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:03:33 pm

Awesome thanks Ben! I had the discussion with DP's before and they suggested shooting normal speed and slowing down in post never quite made since to me I knew there should be a better way

here is another video that uses it

Return to posts index

Ariki Foster
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:08:47 am

hey guys sorry for the late quetion but would the new GOPRO HD2 be able to overcrank?just windering?im new to this too but love it so much i want to try it...thanks guys

Return to posts index

James Bondaygee
on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:03:07 pm

This is the video I did with just a sony fx1. I recorded the video withthe music playing double speed.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 18, 2010 at 11:12:58 pm

Sony HDR-FX1? I have the same camera at home for my personal use and some freelance work. It shoots interlaced which means you can follow this tutorial for some decent slow motion. Here's an old thread about how to get slower slo-mo.

However, none of this is going to be comparable to doing actual overcranking. Which the cameras I have at work can do...fun stuff to play with on a slow day.
(Get it? Slow day? Anyone? *crickets*)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]