ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why can I select a keyframe in the time line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chad ramos
Why can I select a keyframe in the time line
on Mar 17, 2010 at 5:57:44 pm

Hi,

Up until about 5 minutes ago I was able to select invidual keyframes inside my timeline. Now when I click them nothing happens. They do not turn yellow. Any idea what might cause this?

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

chad ramos
Re: Why can I select a keyframe in the time line
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:03:09 pm

This was suppose to say "Why can't I select a keyframe in the Timeline"

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

chad ramos
on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:08:14 pm

More info..

I can't right-click a keyframe at all. Nothing happens.

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:45:45 pm

Are you selecting them with the Selection Tool? (v)

Did you inadvertently lock the layer?

Return to posts index

chad ramos
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:53:33 pm

Hi,

In short..

•I am not able to right-click any keyframe
•I can only select the first keyframe in a set of keyframes if my time marker is on that keyframe. Even in this state I still can not right-click that keyframe.
•I can not left click any individual keyframes to make them "yellow". This means I can not left click a keyframe and drag it along the timeline.

I have tried everything offered at this link with the same results listed above....

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WSB4584EEE-D060-4f67-8AEE-7AFE...

I am assuming this is a option that I am missing with in after effects. When I revert back to an early project I have none of these issues. So at some point today I have done something that I can't not resolve.

And yes I am using the selection tool. I am able to drag over a region of keyframe(s) to select them. But I can not indvidual click to select one. Also, the layers are not locked.

Regards

Chad

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:23:58 pm

Weird. Maybe the file is corrupted.
Try starting a new project and importing, not opening, that AE project file.
Then open the master comp.
If it's still doing it, copy and paste the layers to a new comp in the new project.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:27:01 pm

But before you do that, be sure you've updated to the latest point release of AE. Some bugs were ironed out in that one.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:03:51 am

My best guess is that you've changed frame rate or used time-stretching after applying the keyframes. In some rare cases, that exposes a bug in which keyframes end up off of frame boundaries and aren't selectable. I'm pretty sure that that has been fixed in the most recent version, though. (I'm not where I can look at the bug database to be sure, though.)

In any case, you should be able to select all keyframes on a property by clicking the property name. Then cut and then paste. When the ksyframes are pasted back, they should automatically go to the frame boundaries where they belong.

Of course, you might be seeing something else entirely.

Also, try selecting the keyframes in the Graph Editor and see if that works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:10:53 pm

Not that it matters, Todd, but I found a bug in AE8 yesterday.

I created a folder IN AE and gave it a name. While the name was highlighted, I got distracted, erroneously deleted the name and hit the return key. When I tried to rename the folder, I got an error message: something about AE not able to write a file name. I clicked on the OKAY button, but any time I tried to rename again, or perform any function under the File Menu, The same thing happened.

I mention it ONLY because it's the first and only time I've ever encountered a real-live AE bug. In my experience, most weirdness comes from operator and administrator errors.

Okay, there are those things about HDV footage and Open GL and not enough RAM, but those are well-known.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:13:17 pm

If you find a bug, even in After Effects CS3, go ahead and file it:
bug-report/feature-request form

The testers can make sure that we fixed it in the current version.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:51:21 pm

Well, there won't be any bug report. I just tried replicating it, but no success. Which is good, I guess....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]