ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d falling coin with Particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonas Kruger3d falling coin with Particular
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:54:47 pm

Hi

I am doing an animation of falling coins with Trapcode Particular. So far doing fine, they rotate random and bounce off a solid, but I also want the the coins to have a bit of depth (thickness) or else it looks a bit like paper confetti. So I made a pre-comp of the coin, made the coin 3D, copied it 4 times and offset the layers in Z with 2px each. (Quick and dirty 3D).

-BUT back in my main comp, I cant seem to get Particular to treat it as a 3D object.

Has anyone tried something similar?
-Worked with (AE) 3D objects as particles?

Regards
Jonas

Return to posts index

Mike ParkRe: 3d falling coin with Particular
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:18:08 pm

Jonas,

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you are asking is not possible with Particular. You can precomp the 4 layers and animate the rotation in the precomp and use the precomp as a texture source for Particular, but Particular will not use a 3d precomp like you are trying. Maybe in future releases, but not with 2.0 and prior versions. This is really a truly 3d program type of effect.

Best,

Mike Park

Return to posts index

Jonas KrugerRe: 3d falling coin with Particular
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 6:41:43 pm

Hi Mike
Thank you for the reply!
I was just about to do what you suggest :)

Do you know if I can offset the precomped rotation somehow, so they dont all rotate in sync?

Cheers
Jonas

Return to posts index

Mike ParkRe: 3d falling coin with Particular
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:51:07 pm

the easiest way is to make sure your animation loops in the precomp and then choose the random loop option under particular. Then the particles will all have a random start time within the precomp animation and give you that random feeling. If you want them to spin at different speeds, you can use several layers of particular and make several precomps with different rotation speeds and angles.

best,

mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]