ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

1440x1080 1.33 Apple Intermediate Codec footage after effects looks grainy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christina rule1440x1080 1.33 Apple Intermediate Codec footage after effects looks grainy
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:02:03 pm

Hello All:
I have 1440x1080 Apple Intermediate Codec footage when i bring it into after effects and drag it into a new comp the comp settings are 1440x1080 1.33 however my footage looks very grainy. Im trying to key it out and its just filled with noise and rough edges... Should I change my aspect ratio in my comp? In the future should I maybe use a different codec?

http://www.christinarule.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 1440x1080 1.33 Apple Intermediate Codec footage after effects looks grainy
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:35:48 pm

[christina rule] "m trying to key it out and its just filled with noise and rough edges... "
  • How did you light it? Good lighting is essential
  • You have to remember it started life as HDV, which is just about the worst kind of footage for chroma keying. Capturing it as AIC doesn't improve it: the damage has already been done.
  • What are you using as your keyer?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

christina ruleRe: 1440x1080 1.33 Apple Intermediate Codec footage after effects looks grainy
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:38:26 pm

Key light...They lighting is okay... not the best but not too bad. Should I work with 1.33 or square? or wont that matter.

What would you recommend for the future when shooting something for keying?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 1440x1080 1.33 Apple Intermediate Codec footage after effects looks grainy
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:47:56 pm

Pixel aspect ratio won't matter. You may have to go through the litany of keying strategies:
  • Core & edge keying, where you get the edges looking right, but forget about the center of the subject... then on duplicate layer, get the inside of the subject looking right, but forget about the edges... then combine the two.
  • Ahoron Rabinowitz' super-tight junk matte procedure -- there's a tutorial on it.
  • Delving into the arcane controls for Keylight. Having the manual helps, and you can download it from the foundry.
  • Checking out all the chroma keying tutorials on the cow... and there are a bunch. A couple for keylight, too.

[christina rule] "What would you recommend for the future when shooting something for keying?"

Your camera should have some sort of digital video out on it -- HDMI, HDSDI, whatever. It contains a pristine picture! Full 1920x1080, too! If you have the right kind of capture card -- one that can use that video output -- you can capture it in a MUCH better codec than stinky ol' HDV, thus improving your video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

christina ruleRe: 1440x1080 1.33 Apple Intermediate Codec footage after effects looks grainy
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:50:15 pm

The Studio Im at right now captures directly into Imovie.. which I have very little experience working with haha... Im not sure if that is the best way to go about doing this stuff but do you think that is limited them as well?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:04:36 pm

[christina rule] "The Studio Im at right now captures directly into Imovie.."

Sorry, but I have to say this: oh, eeeeuwwww! Well, if they won't buy FCP, and they can only capture video via firewire, you're stuck with what you have, ma'am. Sorry.

[christina rule] "do you think that is limited them as well? "

Oh, absolutely. I learned this "capture the video straight off the HDV camera" trick from Gary Adcock on the FCP forum. I've been satisfied with what I've gotten off an HVX 200 for chroma keys, but I'm already putting a bug in the boss' ear to get a new capture card for a couple of Sony V1's we inherited; they'd work greaat for keying. Or a capture box, as in the case of the AJA IO HD.

For some of Gary Adcock's projects, the guy has LIGHTING budgets in the high six figures. When he says, "Oh, yeah, it'll work," I believe him.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:56:08 am

hahah I figured it did limit us... is it mainly because Imovie is compressing the footage when it is captured..

I just started with this company so I am trying to get a feel for why they do the things they do. If there is logic behind it or if its just the only way they know. Alot of their footage that they shot though is mainly for web use only so it's going to get compressed anyways. Nevertheless, I think we should have a high res version to get better results with keying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]