ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Timecode and conforming issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders CarlssonTimecode and conforming issues
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:20:50 am

Description: I want to conform a lot of files in AE to low-res proxys for editing. After the edit, I would want to reconnect the low-res to the high-res using a EDL or XML.

Problem: After Effects doesn't, from what I know, pass through any timecode that is needed to reconnect the media. Or maybe it's possible to set EDLs to use actual start and stop in clip duration, instead of the timecode?

I also wonder how this is adressed when AE is used on bigger projects for VFX work and onlined in a different application. I would guess the online assembles the plates with some kind of timecode-based automatic way, not by hand. Anyone know?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Timecode and conforming issues
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:58:22 pm

I'm assuming you've already looked at this, but if not...there you go.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anders CarlssonRe: Timecode and conforming issues
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:45:46 pm

Thank you for your reply.

The problem isn't to make the proxy, the problem is that I wan't to take the cut (from Final Cut) into another program (Film-master) in the end and line them up accordingly.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Timecode and conforming issues
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:07:47 am

I'm curious as to why you would want to do your edit in After Effects.

I'd do the edit in a real NLE (FCP, Avid, etc.), effects shots in AE, and then bring those shots back into the NLE so it can manage the conform.

There was a good thread on this workflow in the Art of the Edit forum a couple weeks ago.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2010 at 8:57:12 am

I don't want to do my edit in AE, I want to conform high-res original files (4K) to low-res for editing (720p Apple Prores). I want to do the edit in Final Cut. But after the cut is final, I want to replace the low-res files to the original high-res files in a third application, Flame or Filmmaster for example. For that I would think it is easiest using an EDL or XML. It's not gonna work to sync up by hand for a longer projects. Ideas?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Timecode and conforming issues
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:32:23 pm

I'm not sure I understand the workflow you're looking for. Are you expecting to do your VFX as a part of the offline, and then somehow conform them back to the high-res media automatically?

In general, single shots are kicked out of the NLE, sent to VFX, and brought back into the NLE before color correction as part of the online.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Mar 18, 2010 at 8:58:44 pm

Yeah, after the offline, I want to export the high-res plate to AE and do the compositing. After that I want to export it from AE and online it in a separate application. If it's only a few effects shot it's easy to do this by hand, but say you have 200 effects shot in an hour long tv-serie, it would be a lot faster to online using an EDL instead of having to place the clips accordingly in the timeline by hand. Or am I thinking this wrong?

Return to posts index

vince sidwellRe: Timecode and conforming issues
by on May 25, 2010 at 5:35:32 pm

I am found this thread, and it touches something without explaining.

I have an EDL exported from an Avid, I have my raw RED files on a drive that I can now import directly into CS5, but I have no idea of how to find the timecode in the imported footage that corresponds to the imported file.

So I would like to work directly from the red footage, but I have no way of importing the exact edit, which in turn will cause problems when I send it back to the Avid.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]