ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replace comp - or something simular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Carlsson
Replace comp - or something simular
on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:56:18 am

Hi all,

I've recently been in a situation were several artist are working on the same shot. One person on keying, one on roto, one on comp and so on.

I would like the person that comps the elements together to start working with temp keys, and temp rotos, and then be able to switch them out as the project goes along. I don't want to render out the elements, I want the compositor to import the key comp so he can have some flexibility if he needs it.

Is there a way to "replace comp", almost like the replace footage button, without having to import the project again and manually switch out the comp and delete the old stuff and so.

Dynamic link between AE and AE?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Replace comp - or something simular
on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:01:27 pm

One possibility is that when an artist finishes their work on a shot, they select the composition they're working on and choose the reduce project option. It removes everything from that project that doesn't have anything to do with that comp.
(I would suggest saving this as under a different file name, just in case.)
Using this method, when your final guy is putting everything together and he imports that project, all he'll get is the stuff that artist was working on.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anders Carlsson
on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:48:36 pm

Yes that is an option, but then I manually have to replace the comp and make sure the new one gets the same properties, (masks, effects) as the temp one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:32:26 pm

[Anders Carlsson] "I manually have to replace the comp and make sure the new one gets the same properties, (masks, effects) as the temp one"

Correct. AE does not make allowances for multiple operator input on one project. If you try it using any current version of AE, there are simply too many dangers of overwriting new work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:11:19 pm

[Anders Carlsson] "but then I manually have to replace the comp and make sure the new one gets the same properties, (masks, effects) as the temp one."

Select the temp comp and alt-drag the finished comp from the project window onto it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]