ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating Shadows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt WulffAnimating Shadows
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:53:09 am

How do I animate the shadow of my rotating text. I Have some text rotating around a solid and would like to animate the shadow on the solid to match up with the rotation of my text. I have the shadow of the text on the background, but when I rotate the text the shadow does not move! Please Help. Darby?

Return to posts index

Yianni PapanicolaouRe: Animating Shadows
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 10:39:03 am

I'm new here so take my advice with pinch of salt....

Are you using AE Text as a 3d layer with a light casting your shadows?

If you're not and you are using the drop shadow layer style or plug in then turn that of, make your text a 3d layer and apply a light to the comp making sure the 'cast shadows' checkbox is ticked in the light options. Make sure your 'solid' that your wanting the shadow to fall on is also a 3d layer and make sure it has the 'accept shadows' box in its 'materials options' ticked or saying yes (can't remember which) the shadow will animate with the rotation of the text on the background layer. Also make sure the text layer has 'cast shadows' ticked in its 'materials options' as well..

If you are doing this already then I'm stumped...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animating Shadows
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:14:08 pm

How is this shadow being created? Is it a layer style, drop shadow, created with AE's 3d space and lighting?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kurt WulffRe: Animating Shadows
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:35:40 pm

Thanks for responding Michael. I created the rotating text using CC Sphere, adding a light to cast the shadow on the background. I rendered the outside of the text so it seems to rotate around the background layer. Since the rotating text never really "disappears" behind the background what can I do with the shadow to make it more animated?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animating Shadows
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 6:20:06 pm

Are all the layers 3D layers? A 2D layer in the middle can really mess things up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Animating Shadows
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:21:47 pm

Use the 3D text animation preset I mentioned previously. The text will behave as you expect with 'real' 3D After Effects shadows.

Photo attached.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved