ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Import problem - Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 into After Effects CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric RichterImport problem - Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 into After Effects CS3
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 12:02:41 am

I just completed an edit in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3.

The way I understand it, you can simply import the Premiere Pro CS3 project into After Effects CS3.

When I do this, After Effects imports the video and image files, but also creates compositions for these files as shown in this first image:

and when I open my composition (created from the sequence in Premiere Pro), instead of my video and image files making up my composition, the compositions After Effects creates for the video and image files makes up the composition as seen on this second image:

However, it doesn't import the audio file as a composition.

This wouldn't be so bad but my edits are all wrong. I used several cuts from the same file and the cuts always start from the beginning of the source file.

I even created a simple Premiere Pro project with a single source video and a single still image, and After Effects imports those files as compositions as well.

I've tried this on two different PCs with the same results.

I was following along with a video tutorial and it did not demonstrate this. In the tutorial, After Effects imported only the Premiere Pro sequence as a composition but not the source files as seen in this image:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Import problem - Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 into After Effects CS3
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:43:11 am

Importing a Premiere Pro project into After Effects is possible, but it's not the only way of moving data back and forth between Premiere Pro and After Effects.

See this page for tables of what gets converted when you import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects. (It's the same as what gets converted when you copy and paste.)

See this page for a list of the other ways to get information between the two. Dynamic Link has the highest fidelity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Eric RichterRe: Import problem - Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 into After Effects CS3
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 11:31:29 am

I tried the steps again. It should be easy - just import a Premiere Pro Project as you would any other media file. But instead of just importing the media that is used in the Premiere Pro project, it creates a composition for each media item (accept audio files) and uses the comps inside the Premiere Pro sequence comp I'm trying to work with. And, my cuts are all wrong. They all start at the beginning of the source file.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Import problem - Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 into After Effects CS3
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:56:53 pm

What Todd said. Although, keep in mind, if your footage is HDV footage, your issue could be due to AE's freakout over interframe compression. Dave LaRonde explains:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Eric RichterRe: Import problem - Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 into After Effects CS3
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:16:48 pm

Do you have any suggestions which codec to use? I've tried to simply export the original video as a Microsoft AVI and Quicktime (compressions: Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC / Sorensen Video3 Compressor / Apple Video)

I'm still getting the same problem.

I tried testing with footage from several cameras, stock footage and still images and a Illustrator file. All are imported as a file and a composition.

The only thing After Effects doesn't import as a composition are audio files.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Import problem - CS3 making everything a composition
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:42:42 pm

That sounds strange. Have you tried trashing your preferences? There may be a setting somewhere that's gotten messed up.

Also, just as a side note, you don't want to use Sorensen 3 compression, DV compression or any type of video compression when moving between programs. You will lose quality.
Try a lossless codec like Quicktime PNG (not a PNG sequence).

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Eric RichterRe: Import problem - CS3 making everything a composition
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 7:05:57 pm

I did notice the reduction in quality and hoped that it wouldn't fix my problem considering I wouldn't want to reduce quality just for workflow.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "trashing preferences" but I did deselected all in "General Preferences" to no avail then reselected all with the same result and changed "Import Preferences - Default Drag Import As" to Footage.

Nothing seems to work.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Import problem - CS3 making everything a composition
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 3:58:56 pm

From Motionworks.com:
Sometimes After Effects does some crazy things that only deleting the AE preference file will sort out. Finding that file can take time but there is a much faster way. Restart AE while holding down the Command + Option + Shift keys (Mac) or Control + Alt + Shift (Windows), and you are presented with an option to delete the preferences. You’ll also get an option to delete the shortcuts if you want.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Eric RichterRe: Import problem - CS3 making everything a composition
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:44:44 pm

That didn't work either - oh well it remains a mystery and I can't ask Adobe unless I upgrade to CS3 which will be expensive for the Master Collection

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

JohnCeliaRe: Import problem - CS3 making everything a composition
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:52:56 am

Premiere to AE import bug fixed:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1767110

The Fix:
In Premiere, Edit-Prefs-General
be sure to UNcheck "Default Scale to Frame Size" before working.

Also if you have any work you've done with it checked, select everything on the sequence timeline (ctrl-A), right click and UNcheck "Scale to Frame Size"

Then it will go into AE properly.

Return to posts index

matteo di gioiaRe: Import problem - CS3 making everything a composition
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:26:15 pm

Mister John Celia
Thank you so much for this solving, i had the exact same problem
I don't know how you knew it, but you did and you saved my day

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]