ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt WulffText in AE
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:52:49 pm

I have created some rotating text in AE using CC Sphere. In rotating that text, is it possible to have it disappear behind another solid and reveal again in front of the solid and not see the reversed image as it rotates. I have had no luck trying this with 3d layers. If anyone can offer any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Text in AE
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:42:57 am

Duplicate your CC sphere layer and make one show the outside of the sphere, make the other show the inside (in the effect settings). Place the solid in between those layers. Don't use 3D layers.

Return to posts index

Kurt WulffRe: Text in AE
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:42:28 am

Thanks for the help Steve! I was able to achieve the look I was going for with rendering the outside of the text.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Text in AE
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:31:41 am

Do you have After Effects CS3 or later? It's possible to do this with per-character text animators and avoid CC Sphere entirely. Then the letters will behave as independent 3D layers that can be occluded by any other 3D layers.

There is actually an animation preset for this. Try typing in "3d rotate around" in the effects and presets panel.

I'd encourage you to explore the settings for this preset and ask any questions you have about how it's set up. This is a great technique. You can even create extruded text that sits along a "3D" path.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Kurt WulffRe: Text in AE
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:47:03 am

Thanks for the tip Darby. I have CS4. I have a pretty nice basic look with CC Sphere, but I will definitely give your suggestions a try!!! Anything to try and make it look better!

Thanks again<

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved