ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 Mac error working with Illustrator files.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary ChildressAfter Effects CS4 Mac error working with Illustrator files.
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:03:31 pm

I have been struggling with this problem ever since CS4 was installed.

I have the CS4 Mac Master Collection.

I am using Illustrator to create text for animation in After Effects.

I can create text in Illustrator and import it into After Effects fine. But when I go to make a change to the Illustrator file, even as simple as changing a color, I get this error.

After Effects error: There was an error processing the PDF document. The file may be damaged or corrupt. (50::29)

The Illustrator file is then toast as far as After Effects is concerned. It cannot be opened or reimported.

I have to start over again and over again, rebuilding the Illustrator file each time.

This has happened throughout 3 complete reinstalls of the Master Collection as I have been rebuilding my system and installing new hard drives.

HELP!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 Mac error working with Illustrator files.
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:08:46 pm

Here's my obvious question: Is the Illustrator file RGB and not CMYK? AE can't use CMYK files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary ChildressRe: After Effects CS4 Mac error working with Illustrator files.
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:19:55 pm

Nope, not CMYK. As you said, they would not even open in AE if they were and would produce a different error I think.

The problem is in the round trip. I can open the Illustrator file in AE and work with it. But when I "command E" and modify the file in any way the Illustrator file seems to corrupt, or at least AE thinks it is.

The file will still open in Illustrator just fine. It's not corrupt there. But it can no longer be used in AE at all.

Today this started by my going back into Illustrator to italicize some text, "shear" in Illustrator parlance. But I tried just doing a color change on another file and produced the same problem.

It's just simple text as well, nothing fancy. With a purchase/licensed font.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:23:41 pm

Okay, how about this: do you have the free upgrade to AE 9.02 yet? It's very important for those running Snow Leopard.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:29:21 pm

OK, I took a look and the version I am currently running is 9.0.2.42
I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.2

I ran Adobe Updater and it says there are no updates at this time.

Also, I did not know that PDF's were involved somehow in the process between Illustrator and AE.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:36:13 pm

You can make Illustrator documents viewable as a PDF, I think. This is sort of Terra Incognita for me.
Is the Illustrator document too complex to save it as a previous version? If not, give it a shot and make darned sure to make it Acrobat- unviewable.

Personally, I haven't had any problems using PDF's in AE as long as they were RGB.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:39:56 pm

I will experiment with the Illustrator save options and see if that makes a difference. But before I can do that I have to make a FedEx deadline tonight.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects CS4 Mac error working with Illustrator files.
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:55:09 pm

> Also, I did not know that PDF's were involved somehow in the process between Illustrator and AE.

PDF is the underlying format for a lot of things.

What is the full path (including file name) of your Illustrator file? I suspect a problem in the parsing of the path name.

Also, try moving the Illustrator file to a very boring location, like the root folder or your desktop. Then try reproducing the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:01:49 pm

This is the full path name:

/Volumes/Apollo/Dragonfly GFX 2010/10 Min Solution/10 Min Solution (White Circles Look)/10 MIn Sol 4 08/Illustrator/Cat Chiarelli Segment Titles.ai

I will try moving the file to the desktop and see what happens.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:15:17 pm

And of course now the system seems to have returned to normal and is not throwing errors. But this is a problem that has been frequent since switching to CS4.

It does seem like a problem in the round tripping and perhaps the path is the problem.

I recently rebuilt the system to go to Snow Leopard and had a lot of problems. This is the third build and it was on a freshly purchased hard drive.

Earlier installs had problems with drive "ownership" and font problems that might have been attributed to the installation of Office 08'.

But this current system has not had Office installed yet nor Final Cut Pro Studio.

It has Adobe CS4 Master Collection, Lightwave 3D, Modo and a bunch of plugins and utilities.

The RAID was a late addition to this mix and I was having the same After Effects errors on previous installs running off an external firewire drive.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:05:23 pm

You know, there is a possibility that this has nothing to do with your applications, but something to do with your OS.

In Final Cut Pro Land -- which uses lots of processor power and disk drives -- a common solution to FCP woes is to repair permissions with Apple Disk Utilities, and to further run a purchased utility called Disk Warrior.

Apparently certain OS items can get screwed up easily, especially for those who make great demands on their machines.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]