ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Velocity change in tunnel flythrough

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John KnowlesVelocity change in tunnel flythrough
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:29:03 pm

In my music video project I have a 35-second segment where a character flies through a virtual tunnel. I've already built the tunnel effect based on several online tutorials (fractal noise+grid wrapped into a tunnel shape with CC cylinder) and it's easy enough to fly a camera through the tunnel. BUT, the portion of the song that's playing has the singer chanting "faster... faster... FASTER!" several times and he would like the flying speed to increase each time he says "faster" on the track until it's practically at warp speed by the end.

What's the best way to increase the camera velocity as it flies down the tunnel? Expressions can't be keyframed or changed on the fly, right? (sorry, don't know enough about 'em). Should I just make a really long tunnel and just keyframe it's destination point along the way, so that it picks up speed as it tries to make it to the end? I'm afraid there's a lot of MATH involved here...

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Velocity change in tunnel flythrough
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:32:38 am

you can use slider control to increase the speed. just pick whip the x or y or z position of the camera to slider control. Set your key frames synchron to the words "faster" (like; 1st second: 10 , 5th second: 50, 10th second:100) and then add an expression to slider control: time*whatever you want(it may be 20 or 500 etc.) this makes sliders values up. after that you can delete your keyframes.
( I may be wrong by the descripton of expression but I am sure this is in the right way. here it's 03:30 am and I am tired. So tomorrow I will try to descript this with caps.)

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Velocity change in tunnel flythrough
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:24:45 pm

[John Knowles] "Expressions can't be keyframed or changed on the fly, right? "

Wrong. The wiggle expression, for example, changes the value of something based on the keyframed value. Some expressions override keyframes, others just modify them. How your comp is set up and what expressions you're using will determine how keyframeable it is.

There are tons of ways to make a tunnel with variable speed. How is your comp set up?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved