ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin RobertsEffect
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:17:20 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with an effetc im trying to acheieve in after effects.

Im trying to get the effect seen at 24'' seconds in the Eddie Izzard marathon man opening sequence.

What happens is the video freezes and then the frozen shot wipes over to give a cartoon like effect on the still image. I have seen this before on a number of different shows.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve not only the effect but also the wipe? do I need any extra plugins?

Cheers for any help

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Effect
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:50:32 pm

I can't access your given example due to the restrictive internet wall behind which I work, but I can tell you that the effect you describe is achievable without third-party plugins. Most effects are.

Take your still frame into Photoshop and create the drawn look there, or do it in AE...either way. AE provides one-plugin things like the cartoon effect, or you can use a variety of layers and effects to get the look you want. There are tons of tutorials out there for this.
Then to do the wipe...there are tons of ways to do that. Check out all the transition filters. I'm a big fan of the gradient wipe. Also you can use masks.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Effect
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:06:24 pm

BBC iPlayer only shows movies to folks in the UK, so your link won't work for most of us.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: Effect
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:26:01 pm

Just to help everyone along:

- isolate the main elements you want to treat by rotoscoping (search the Cow if you are unfamiliar with that term)
- put each element into its own comp
- from here it's down to you as an artist; you could make each comp 3-D, then use a camera to move everything into place, you could just animate and re-colour, you could do any number of thousands and thousands of things to that footage... good luck!

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Gavin RobertsRe: Effect
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:33:12 pm

Thanks for this guys, appericate the help i will have a look at the tutorials and see if I can figure it out.

Looking at the photo is seems like it has been made using a number of different masks onto of the original image? is this right

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved