ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Sequence sizes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikko Kovasiipi
AE Sequence sizes?
on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:57:03 am

Hello.

I have a few questions about sequence sizes. If I select PAL D1/DV Widescreen Anamorphic from AE's Comp Presets it will give me the size 1050x576. I have always thought the anamorphic resolution in "square pixels" is 1024x576 so why AE is giving me that size? Also if I'll do a sequence with 1024x576 and export -> import it to Final Cut Pro the size is much wider than 1024 pixels. I took screen capture from FCP and measured it in Photoshop and it is indeed much wider than 1024 pixels. Why? (the anamorphic is checked off)

And one more. I usually edit things in HD (720 or 1080) but I need to convert them to PAL format when I'm sending those for broadcast and for that I'm using Adobe Media Encoder. The Media Encoder gives me 720x576 which is right but there are also black borders on right and left side of the frame. Those are about 20 pixels each. It looks like it doesn't handle the pixel aspect ratio at all. Why..? :)

Thanks. Mikko.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: AE Sequence sizes?
on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:23:36 pm

> I have always thought the anamorphic resolution in "square pixels" is 1024x576 so why AE is giving me that size? Also if I'll do a sequence with 1024x576 and export -> import it to Final Cut Pro the size is much wider than 1024 pixels. I took screen capture from FCP and measured it in Photoshop and it is indeed much wider than 1024 pixels. Why?

Several software companies were using the wrong numbers for a long time. Adobe corrected its numbers in CS4. Apple corrected its numbers in a recent version of Final Cut Studio.

See this page for a little information about the FInal Cut Studio change, and this page for more information about the Adobe CS4 change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]