ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

new project help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dima Ivannew project help
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:39:32 am

Hi, I recently saw a commercial that I really liked, and I want to create the same effect in After Effects for my new intro.
Here's a video:

and from 0:45 till 0:55 is the part that I want to create. I have little experience in AE, but this one seems to be pretty hard, I don't even know where to start. I would replace the can with text.
Notice the optical flares, 3D space, flying particles.

Return to posts index

Tidjani FaradjRe: new project help
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:04:14 am

I think this part has been made with the Optical Flare plug-in by Andrew Kramer (Video Copilot) .. I recognized that part from the preview video of the plug-in (

- TidjRock -

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: new project help
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:14:33 am

The flares look 3D-ish.

YOu can head on to Dan Ebberts' site - and look at his lens flare tutorial. Essentially, it allows you to link AE's 2D len flare to a 3D null.

For 3rd part solutions, and have their respective plugins.

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: new project help
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:16:54 am

Instead of asking "how do i do this?" you'll learn a whole lot more if you work it out yourself. Watch it over and over. Don't watch the overall effect, watch the individual elements

You have already mentioned a lot of the things you need to think about ie. 3d space, flares, particles etc. now you need to break it down even further, and start to build your effect based upon your observations.

Depending on what software and plug-ins you have will affect what you can do, but then that can also force you to find creative solutions which in turn will turn it from a copy of someone elses work into your own piece.

Personally I would list all the elements in the shot you want to replicate. Then decide where in 3d space those elements will need to be, to achieve the desired effect. SO - the flashing lights will be further from the camera (you) than the can. The can will obscure the lights (so a mask may be needed) Light from the flashes reflects of the sides of the can, so you will need to use masks and perhaps level controls to recreate the effect of reflected light.
Do you need a light or just lens flares? up to you...

There looks like some volumetric light in the spot, so if you don't have anything to create the slightly foggy look that volumetrics gives, then come up with a workaround. Perhaps several adjustment layers with subtle amounts of blur and the black levels raised, each soft edged masked to replicate the interaction of the light and dark "atmos". Blend these adjustment layers over the other layers in the project so they add to the atmos, but don't obviously and clumsily detract from the effect. has many many wonderful tutorials (free) and Andrew Kramer often shows how to create particle effects in them.
I would seriously suggest watching every tutorial andrew has made. Whilst the actual project may not be what you intend, he shows great hints and tips that can be used for hundreds of other uses.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Dima IvanRe: new project help
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 7:34:02 pm

Thanks Adam,
I watched a lot of Andrews tutorials, but unfortunately his website is down, but should it up soon, my main question is what is my first move, would it be to create a solid layer or start somewhere else.

Particles and flares I should be able to figure out myself, but the part where the whole scene changes from black to white is the tricky part for me, also making the "floor" than shadow.

When you said that I could use an adjustment layer for the volumetric spots, is there a plug-in that would do the same job.

Thanks again for your help

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: new project help
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:02:12 am

Trapcode Lux allows you to create volumetric light effects using the built-in AE lights.
I'd use a combination of Lux and lens flares to do the lights.
I'd also use trapcode Particular to add some dust (it works with Lux to let the light source illuminate the particles interactively.

Floors are easy to make....turn a solid layer into 3d, rotate -90 in the x axis. lower the y position of the layer. Making sure you have created a 3d camera so you can see the effect.

for the colour change, i would duplicate your floor and background layers. Change the colour from black to offwhite, then experiment with dissolves (possibly an addative dissolve). Note the dissolve actually occurs underneath the sudden increase in intensity of the light fx and flares.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved