ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Help With Creating a 3D village

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel SearleHelp With Creating a 3D village
by on Mar 13, 2010 at 8:18:56 pm

Hello i am trying to create a 3D village in After effects for certain shots in my animation series, now i can create most things like the basic houses since they are mostly composed of flat surfaces. But there's a problem, i need a 'well' in the village, and that is obviously cylindrical and after days of searching i cannot find anything to solve this problem so i thought i'd ask here. I know i COULD create the village in 3ds max, but id rather not have to learn that program and plus i dont think 3d max would let me take a picture i drew and make it 3 dimensional which aftereffects DOES let me do. So what can i do to remedy this problem? A way to insert a cylinder object that would allow texture mapping that can work in 3d space in after effects or any solution is desired.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Help With Creating a 3D village
by on Mar 14, 2010 at 7:21:29 am

There are numerous 3D plugins. Zaxwerks for example. And they can utilize the cameras so that everything moves correctly within your comp. But the big problem is they will never fully integrate into your comp, because everything in AE is a flat 2D layer in 3D space. The only way around that is well planned trickery. But anything you create with a 3D plugin really has to integrate with some basic masking or be the foreground element. Creating a village probably just not going to happen. You can also, donwload 3D objects and open them in PS CS4 extended for painting, and then open those objects in AE where they will respect cameras and lights, but they still won't interact with the other layers in a realistic way like a 3D app.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Help With Creating a 3D village
by on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:03:01 pm

You've discovered the limits of AE's 3D.

Use MAX.

Return to posts index

Daniel SearleRe: Help With Creating a 3D village
by on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:29:32 pm

Is it 3DS Max i want? And can i animate a camera shot to move around the village for establishing shots? And lastly, would i be able to import a picture, such as a custom wall shape png i made in photoshop and use that in real 3D instead of the programs own 3D objects?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Help With Creating a 3D village
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:41:39 pm

You would map your texture to the objects you create in your 3d program.
However, I think you could do a well in AE. CC Cylinder would get you the round part of the well, then place another layer on top for the top edge of the well.
Or, you could place a bunch of layers in a cylindrical shape. It would take a lot of layers, but if they were all tiny pieces masked off from a precomp, you could then adjust the texture and it would change all the layers.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Help With Creating a 3D village
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:16:50 pm

Y'know ...

... I spoke too soon. Yes -- import your well texture into AE, then drag it into a comp, then apply CC cylinder to that layer. Give it a go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved