ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Auto stagger 3D layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon HuttonAuto stagger 3D layers?
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:06:30 pm

Hey there, I'm planning on shooting a video with a friend's band. I want to shoot it on green screen edit the piece, print it as an image sequence and then stagger the layers in 3D space in AE. Obviously I am going to end up with thousands of images. Is there a simpler way to stagger the layers in depth by than setting them manually? It would be great if you could draw out a line in 3d space and stagger along your curve, maybe that's asking for too much. Here is a link to a quick mockup of a staggered image sequence to give you somewhat of an idea.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Auto stagger 3D layers?
by on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:00:10 am

Well, it's not really an image sequence you're going to be working with. It's more like sequence of images;) In an Image Sequence, you don't get access to the individual images as self-contained units.

I think you'll have to import a folder containing the individual files, then select them all and drop them in the timeline. Activate the 3d switch for all, then apply an expression to the second image layer down in the stack that tells it to look at the z position of the previous layer and add to that value by (variable). And that variable should look at a null object for its value, so you can adjust it on the fly. Then paste that expression to the rest of the layers.

Here's one such expression:

Basic, but no curvature. I think this one will do you a treat:

Now to get them to moving in interesting ways, check this out:

Not sure if those last two can work in concert, but certainly worth investigating.

Sensei Search-a-Lot - Black Belt in Google-Fu

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Auto stagger 3D layers?
by on Mar 13, 2010 at 2:16:05 pm

Jon, it's clear now from re-reading your post that you were already aware of needing to import all of the files individually, rather than as an image sequence. Sorry about that.

Hope you found the links useful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved