ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render won't use more than 25% of ram

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris FlannaganRender won't use more than 25% of ram
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 7:19:55 pm

Hi all, I'm used to using after effects cs3 on a mac, but I recently converted to PC and upgraded to CS4. Anway, I try messing with the memory & processing settings but can't get AE to use more than 25% of my ram during rendering. I have 4 gigs of ram and an intel centrino 2 core 2 duo p7350 2GHz.

Any ideas how I can get it to use at least 2 gigs? (3 would be ideal)

Thanks!!

Chris

Return to posts index

Joe MoyaRe: Render won't use more than 25% of ram
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 7:57:57 pm

Chances are your are using more than 25% of your RAM... you just don't realize it... and...yea... that sounds a bit lame. But... this is how AE works.

If you hold CTL>ALT>DEL keys simultantiously you will see Windows Task Manager window pop up... click the Processes tab and you should see one AfterEffects.exe file using CPU time for each CPU processors you have installed.

This means that AE is using multiple exe files to execute code for you... RAM useage is normal (at least for me) to be in the 25-45% range... You can increase the amount of RAM used by increasing the amount of total RAM, but the percentage of useage will not change dramatically because it AE is dividing more RAM per processer per exe file.

The last I looked the optimal CPU useage of RAM is about 2G reserved for OS and 2.0-2.5G of RAM per CPU cores available. So if you have two Cores available... the optimal RAM amount would be 2G for OS plus 2-2.5Gs per Core... which is (2 or 2.5)x2 = 4-5Gs. Total optimal RAM is (2+4) 6G to 7G (2+5).

Return to posts index

Chris FlannaganRe: Render won't use more than 25% of ram
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 8:03:21 pm

Very interesting. I just remember when I used my mac (which had 3gigs) it would say in the render box, while rendering, 60% of ram being used and now in that same place on my PC its saying 25% of ram being used and it is WAY slower than my MAC was at rendering although the processor, ram and video card are all better than that machine had.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Render won't use more than 25% of ram
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 8:16:57 pm

[Chris Flannagan] "Hi all, I'm used to using after effects cs3 on a mac, but I recently converted to PC and upgraded to CS4. Anway, I try messing with the memory & processing settings but can't get AE to use more than 25% of my ram during rendering. I have 4 gigs of ram and an intel centrino 2 core 2 duo p7350 2GHz.

Any ideas how I can get it to use at least 2 gigs? (3 would be ideal)"

What version of Windows are you running? Unless it's a 64-bit edition, your computer may be limited to accessing 3 GB of RAM, because Windows reserves some extra space for memory-mapped IO.

With dual core machine and only 3 GB of available RAM, I'd probably leave multiprocessing off.

As for memory usage, AE will use what it needs up to the maximum it can address and get from the system. If it's only using 25% of available RAM, it may not actually need more for your project. If your processor is running at near 100% load during render, but you still have free RAM and the system isn't swapping memory to disk, then RAM usage isn't a factor in your render time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Render won't use more than 25% of ram
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:19:45 pm

I might be a bit off on my information, but I have noticed an issue on the Centrino systems..

My tower (which I do most of my work on) Is an Intel Core2Duo, it's the same speed and has the same memory as my laptop but its faster. (laptop is a Centrino core2duo).

My only other differences is the tower has xp and the laptop has vista. This may or may not be a contributing factor. (Theyre both 32bit).

-Jeremy

-------------------------------------------------
If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.
-------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]