ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apple ProRes 422 HQ

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Golden
Apple ProRes 422 HQ
on Mar 10, 2010 at 4:55:41 pm

When using Apple ProRes 422 HQ in After Effects 7 and dropping lower than full rez, the display gets a weird kind of interlacing look to it. Anyone else experience this and if so, any suggestions for fixes?

Thanks!
- Brad Golden
Visual FX Instructor
MediaTech Institute, Dallas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Apple ProRes 422 HQ
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:32:19 pm

I'll assume you're also running FCP 7 on your AE machine. As far as I know, There is no viewer for ProRes HQ for non-FCP 7 machines.

This means that you're running Leopard or Snow Leopard, both of which were released long before AE7 or even AE8; you could be experiencing OS problems with AE.

But there's something else: ProRes HQ is almost ALWAYS overkill for the video you capture or transfer into FCP. You almost never gain additional image quality by using it, and almost always waste valuable storage space, even shooting on Sony XD Cams. Of course, you could be shooting on a RED One camera or a Sony Cine Alta or something equally pricey, in which cas I say, "never mind".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
Re: Apple ProRes 422 HQ
on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:57:43 pm

By display, do you mean the actual footage, or do you mean the GUI? I'm assuming you mean the viewer.

I know this may sound simple, but if you have your footage at a lower res and you keep the footage the same size then it's going to look aliased etc. Is that what you're talking about? Try choosing a smaller percentage size for the viewer and see if the "interlacing" goes away.

"ProRes HQ is almost ALWAYS overkill for the video you capture or transfer into FCP."

I'd rather use ProRes HQ than regular ProRes for grading and effects. An hour of ProRes is about 60GB and ProRes HQ is 90GB. Not much of a difference to me if I'm working on short form projects.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]