ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

32 bpc Export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Vanz32 bpc Export
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:16:21 pm

I am working on a title in 32 bpc but when I export it, its seems it has exported at 8 bpc therefore not looking the same. How do you export to quicktime keeping the 32 bpc? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 32 bpc Export
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:29:16 pm

Very, VERY VERY few people actually ever need 32 bpc. The reason: you can't play it back. Even RED footage is something like 10 bpc.

Now if you absolutely, positively MUST have 32 bpc, render an image sequence. Targas support 32 bits.

If you need quicktimes, you're stuck -- the best you can do is ProRes 4444 or ProRes HQ, both of which are 10-bit... see what I mean about playing it back? Furthermore, you have to the latest version of Final Cut Pro installed on your AE machine to even have access to the codecs.

So it comes down to this: what are you MAKING? How is this title to be used? What's it's resolution? We can probably offer more practical alternatives.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 32 bpc Export
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 11:48:08 pm

Dave's question is the right one: Why are you trying to output a movie at 32bpc? There are actually good reasons for doing so---such as if you're creating intermediate files in a visual effects and compositing workflow. But you should know why you're doing this.

So, if you're sure that you need 32bpc output, consider OpenEXR image sequences as your output format. There are others, as Dave mentioned. I like OpenEXR.

(Note: The message that 32bpc output isn't often the right way to go doesn't mean that working at 32bpc within After Effects isn't the right way to go. That's a separate question. You can get a lot of benefits from working at 32bpc, even if you're outputting to 8bpc.)

See "Color depth and high dynamic range color".

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: 32 bpc Export
by on Mar 11, 2010 at 12:49:53 am

How does it 'not look the same'? Is it noisier? Has the color shifted? Are you using a color managed workflow?

As other folks have stated, there's usually not much of a reason to output a 32bpc file unless you're pre-rendering for use in a 32bpc project. In that case you would have to use an image sequence that supports 32bpc (OpenEXR, TIFF, Photoshop... I like PSDs).

I don't like to generalize, but final deliverables will always be 10bpc or less.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved