ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Smoothen Motion Tracking Result???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Smoothen Motion Tracking Result???
on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:42:14 pm

Hi Everybody,

got a little problem: I tracked the Motion of a shot, to attach some text to it - so it scales and moves with it. But the tracking is too precies - which results in too much motion (jiggering and jerking of the text) - any way to smoothen the tracking result a bit - so the attached text moves less???

Thanx a lot for any help!!!!

Sascha

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: Smoothen Motion Tracking Result???
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:09:42 pm

Try selecting all the keyframes and adding Smoother (Window > Smoother), playing with different values. Undo if you don't like the results, and tweak to taste.
There is also a Smooth expression, but I haven't used it.

Return to posts index

Philippe Lessard
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:10:28 pm

Hi Sasha,

If you look in your windows menu in After Effects, you should see the smoother, click it, it open a windows where you can choose a tolerance to smooth your "pos/rot/scale" keys.Select all the key you want to smooth then try to use a tolerance of 1 ,should do the trick, otherwise play with the tolerance.There also a script called tracker viz, but I never tried it, maybe you should look at it.

Hope this help

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:25:45 pm

HI Thanx for the fast Reaction. I tried it, but I am facing some problems. I can just select always some keyframes in a row - then the smoother 'apply' button highlightens. When I select all in one line - it stays greyed out. And I do not have options to choose (just spatial). When it's set to 1 it seems to make it even jerkier than it was :-(

Any idea?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:47:13 pm

[Sascha Engel] "Any idea? "

Yes -- duplicate the layer that needs to be tracked, apply a new tracker, and motion track a different point if you can. Play with the tracking settings if necessary -- try a little pre-blur.

Depending on your shot, you're not always going to get a good track. Sometimes you have to keep at it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:12:22 am

Thanx Dave, I will give it a shot.
Funny is that it's not bad - it just tracks it too good :-)
I will try the pre-blur, maybe that will bake the cake.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 11, 2010 at 6:49:26 am

Well, I tried a lot, re-tracking, smoothening, just applying to x-axis and so on.
But it is still jerky.
Could it have to do something with the fact, that it is Apple Intermediate Codec / Quicktime file?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 11, 2010 at 6:55:26 am

Doubtful. AIC is a great codec.

Have you tried just randomly removing intermittent keyframes, changing their interpolation, and/or selecting all but the 1st and last keyframes, right-clicking and choosing Rove Across Time?

Also try posting this to the Expressions forum to see if anyone there has some ideas.

Return to posts index

James Autery
on Mar 19, 2017 at 12:57:30 am

I'm also having trouble with the smoother window. The apply button is greyed out. Any ideas why? Here's a screen shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]