ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

PreAnimated or Duplicate Layer problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Makana SylvaPreAnimated or Duplicate Layer problems
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:20:35 am

I've had this problem for a few years but I've never been able to find an actual solution.

I've noticed that sometimes when I bring in a pre-animated clip or if I duplicate a clip I get some frames on certain layers that won't animate properly or will just freeze frame completely.

I've tried various things like purging all of the Memory, RAM, etc but its hit an miss if it works or not.

I find this happens when I work in 8bit or 16bit. Has anyone else run into this or solved this?

Mac OSX 10.5.6
Intrl CoreQuad 2.66 gHz - 4GB RAM
After Effects CS3
Action Essentials 2 (720p) PNG

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: PreAnimated or Duplicate Layer problems
by on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:57:49 am

I don't really understand the question. What is a "pre-animated clip?" Pre-rendered, maybe?

And what do you mean by "frames that won't animate properly"?

If you're talking about Prerenders, possibly you're rendering to a non-editable codec such as H.264?

I refer you to Dave LaRonde

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Also, I've seen Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously cause problems on some systems, so if that's on try turning it off.

Finally, disable OpenGL if it's on. I think Dave might have a stock answer for that as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved