ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Roughface
3D Effects
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:56:23 pm

I want a pretty simple effect of taking different compositions and adding a distortion by creating the Z-axis and pulling the video further back.

In essence it would look like a rhombus. I know it's probably pretty basic but my Google-fu isn't working and tinkering with the 3D effects has gotten me nowhere.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 3D Effects
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:40:29 pm

Sorry, I'm not following you. Could you take another crack at describing what you want to do? What should it look like?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:42:40 pm

You can't stretch the corners of a layer in 3D -- all layers must stay flat. However, you can use the corner pin effect to distort it within its own flat plane, then rotate it on one of the three 3D axes if you click the little 3D button first.

Be sure to make a 3D camera, though. Good shop practice, as they say.

The alternative is to buy the Freeform plugin.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:11:50 pm

Glad you got to this one first, Steve... I simply could not follow what the gent was trying to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Geoff Roughface
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:24:26 pm

Steve,

I think we're on the right track here. Can you explain some more about the 3D camera? Sounds like exactly what I need.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:49:34 pm

Making a 3D camera right away is simply good practice, as is showering before a big date. It's the 3D LAYER that will do what you want.

Carefully read what Steve wrote, and if you're still confused, I strongly recommend you pay a visit here -- read everything, and click on all the links:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:59:17 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Making a 3D camera right away is simply good practice, as is showering before a big date."

SHOWERING! That's what I'd been missing. No wonder things hadn't been going well 'til recently.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Geoff Roughface
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:11:22 pm

So I figured out that what I need is to simply use the "orbit camera" function with my camera, but in my composition it gives me the error, "Bottom, unable to orbit camera."

Anyone help me out here?

Return to posts index

Geoff Roughface
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:25:16 pm

Ok, so the last bit was fixed by me picking the active camera (whoddathunk?) but now I want some things to go one way on the Z-Axis and others to go another way. I've created two cameras for this and parented the appropriate layers to the camera I want, but I think I'm missing something

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Okay, the hand-holding ends NOW
on Mar 9, 2010 at 8:13:07 pm

Sorry!

If you expect someone to answer your "duh" rookie questions every five minutes, it isn't going to be me. I've told you TWICE to get comfy with the basics, I've told you WHY that's so once, and you choose to ignore me.

If somebody else wants to hold your hand through a couple of projects, fine. But it won't be me. I've got better things to do with my time than to babysit someone who won't even take responsibility for their own education... despite having been clubbed over the head a couple of times that they should do so.

Come back when you have some basic knowledge. Then we'll talk.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:55:39 pm

What happens if you change the view of your 3D comp from the "BOTTOM" setting to one of the custom views... or even the active camera?

If you're an AE rookie trying to learn a couple of tricks for a project, you're going to get very discouraged very quickly. This is the kind of application where you absolutely need to know the basics before you try harder stuff. That's why you should look at that link earlier in this thread.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]