ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problems importing from Premier to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BurnsProblems importing from Premier to After Effects
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:41:59 pm

I am currently in the process of animating my senior project. I had a ton of raw footage that I had captured and synced the audio up (i had recorded the audio separately). I then whittled down the footage to just what I needed. Now Adobe Media Encoder has not been working for me lately so i decided that I would import the sequences into After Effects and render from there. However, whenever I import the footage into AE it totally messes up the cuts. First of all, it's not importing the sound that I had synced up to the footage, but it's using the sound that had been recorded straight to the camera. I don't understand how this is happening considering I had deleted that audio from the timeline completely. Also, it's cutting most of the shots short. I know that there is a lot to consider when importing from Premiere into AE, but I just don't understand what's going on. Any help would be SUPER appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problems importing from Premier to After Effects
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:09:29 pm

There could be a couple of common radons why this is happening:
Got Open GL turned on for rendering? Turn it off -- it isn't worth the hassle.
What kind of footage is in this project? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved