ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Really Slow Turbulence Evolution

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Carson
Really Slow Turbulence Evolution
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:22:04 pm

Basically, I want my effect to animate VERY slowly. right now, I have it set so the effect evolves 1 cycle during the entire composition. How can I get it slower? I've tried using a divide expression but it doesn't seem to affect it. I tried: time/2500 and nothing happened; same speed. But when I tried: time*2500 it sped up! How do I get it to slow down 2500 times?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Really Slow Turbulence Evolution
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:38:29 pm

I assume you're using the Turbulent Noise effect (or Fractal Noise) and setting keyframes for Evolution.

This works for me: Keyframe evolution then add the following expression to it:

slow = value / 10; // use the factor you want here

slow

Return to posts index

Joe Coleman
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:39:23 pm

Maybe I'm missing something...but can't you keyframe the evolution just a few degrees instead of one entire cycle? Or maybe pre-comp and time remap...or make the comp much longer, add the evolution keyframe way at the end, then trim your comp back to the length you want.

Return to posts index

David Carson
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:41:45 pm

Just figured it out. My issue was getting to be very slow while maintaining a perfect loop. The problem was I had 2 turbulence effects on the layer and I had to apply the expression to both of them.

Return to posts index

David Carson
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:51:29 pm

Ok, no I still have the problem. OF the top of your head, whats the easiest way of slowing down an evolution while maintaining a loop/cycle?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:37:45 pm

You'll need to make it a LOT longer than you anticipated. If you measure the evolution in terms of degrees, it need to get back around to 360 degrees minus one video frame.... and if you slow the evolution way down, that could take a good deal of time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]