ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating filled polygon points in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reimo ounAnimating filled polygon points in AE
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:31:41 am

Hello.

I have been working with AE quite some time for now and i quess i can slightly say that i have a clue what is possible in AE and what is not. Of course i dont know all the (endless) possibilities, tricks and techniques by far but overall i feel myself quite at home in AE. :)
But still the million dollar question for me is that how do you animate or control filled e.g polygon (or whatever shape) points. Here's a good example - (1:50) and one more - http://motionographer.com/theater/prologue-offf-2009-titles/

As far as i know it's not possible to link or add any effects (e.g wiggle expression) to mask or shape single points. It's simple to create whatever shape with beam effect and null objects by linking the starting and ending points to the different null objects and then adding motion tracking data to the same null objects. easy.

-- But ..HOW.. do you fill the shape then?! --

It is really haunting me because the first vimeo example clip above, the creator of that says it is done fully in AE. is it really just a mask, animated frame by frame?

I would be really happy for any response and thanks a lot in advance.

greetings from estonia. all the best.

reimo.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Animating filled polygon points in AE
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:31:52 pm

He mentioned he used some 3rd Party plugs. Maybe Mocha Shape? Along with the Stroke Effect?

http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha_shape_for_After_Effects/

Return to posts index

reimo ounRe: Animating filled polygon points in AE
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 3:07:45 pm

hi.

thanks for responding.
Yeah you could be right about that mocha shape plug-in, actually when i was trying hard to find the solution for my problem i found the same plug-in and ended up on exactly the same clip. I just didn't.. actually still don't want to believe that it's So complicated to do such a 'simple thing'. There must be an easier way.. or maybe.. there isn't then.
For me it's a bit weird how few options and how basic they are in AE, when it comes to mask or it's points animation. frustrating.

but anyway.. i guess i dont have any other option then.. i have to try this mocha-shape thing.
And huge thank again.

reimo.

Return to posts index

reimo ounRe: Animating filled polygon points in AE
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:10:33 am

hi again.

I just wanted to say that i've found almost perfect solution for my problem. And without using any additional plug-ins. It can be done quite simply with AE's own tools.
The trick is.. Auto-trace. At first i made a triangle using three null objects (every one had wiggle expression on position) and the Beam effect where i linked the starting and ending points to null-objects. And when that was done i Auto-traced its movement and then copied the masks the Auto-trace made to a solid. quite easy.

reimo.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Animating filled polygon points in AE
by on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:19:00 pm

Very cool. Thanks for thinking this one through and sharing your technique.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]