ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

So confused about whether a AE CS4 64-bit version exists

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Worsell
So confused about whether a AE CS4 64-bit version exists
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:07:35 am

I've googled, and googled, and googled...and I even CreativeCowed. But I can't find a definitive answer.

Yes, I know the future version of AE (i.e., CS5) will be 64-bit only. But is there a current AE CS4 64-bit version? If so is it a completely separate install? Or is it all the same install but enabled by a different serial number? I certainly can find no mention on the Adobe site of an AE CS4 64-bit download.

I'm further confused by the fact that Adobe states that CS4 is "64-bit compatible." Does that mean it can function fully as a 64-bit program? Or does that only mean that CS4 is a 32-bit program which is stable under a 64-bit system.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and would love to be running AE CS4 64-bit...if such a thing truly exists.

Thank you for ending my torment.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: So confused about whether a AE CS4 64-bit version exists
on Mar 6, 2010 at 9:33:48 am

After Effects CS4 is a 32-bit application. It can run on a 64-bit operating system. After Effects CS4 can launch multiple instances of the application to render multiple frames simultaneously. On a 64-bit operating system, these multiple instances can use a lot of RAM, thereby taking advatntage of a 64-bit operating system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Sean Worsell
on Mar 6, 2010 at 9:49:38 am

Thank you! That answered my question and more! Never thought to run multiple instances to take advantage of more RAM. So the program knows to access "un-tapped" RAM does it? That is, if one instance is using 4 GB, a new instance of AE will only access a totally different 4 GB?

I'm assuming you mean you can render out half a comp in one instance, and the other half in the other instance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 6, 2010 at 12:59:53 pm

[Sean Worsell] "Never thought to run multiple instances to take advantage of more RAM. So the program knows to access "un-tapped" RAM does it? That is, if one instance is using 4 GB, a new instance of AE will only access a totally different 4 GB? I'm assuming you mean you can render out half a comp in one instance, and the other half in the other instance."

No need to do it manually -- AE manages the other instances for you through multiprocessing. You don't have to render separate parts of the same comp manually in separate instances; AE will render multiple frames simultaneously within the same comp.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Mar 7, 2010 at 4:26:05 pm

Is there any advantage to doing it "old school", that is, manually launching new instances and rendering to a TGA sequence using "skip existing frames"?

I say that, given that I've read that it's sometimes advantageous to switch off multiprocessing.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd Kopriva
on Mar 7, 2010 at 4:31:29 pm

> I've read that it's sometimes advantageous to switch off multiprocessing.

Whenever I recommend turning off Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing, it's because someone is using a computer with too little RAM.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Mar 7, 2010 at 5:37:41 pm

Thanks, Todd.

Return to posts index

Andy Joseph
on May 1, 2010 at 7:58:09 am

@ Todd

Hi Todd, You said:

"After Effects CS4 is a 32-bit application. It can run on a 64-bit operating system. After Effects CS4 can launch multiple instances of the application to render multiple frames simultaneously. On a 64-bit operating system, these multiple instances can use a lot of RAM, thereby taking advatntage of a 64-bit operating system."

Doesn't this apply to CS3 as CS3 also supports multiprocessing. Still if what you said is not applicable to CS3 then whats the reason for that?

Thanks
Andy

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 1, 2010 at 2:52:11 pm

> Doesn't this apply to CS3 as CS3 also supports multiprocessing.

Yes.

Return to posts index

Andy Joseph
on May 2, 2010 at 6:59:08 am

Yes ?

Sorry Todd, i didn't get that exactly. Can u pls elaborate it for me. I really need that answer as i'm planning to use AE CS3 with 64bit system WIN-7.

Regards
Andy

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 2, 2010 at 7:08:42 am

> Sorry Todd, i didn't get that exactly. Can u pls elaborate it for me. I really need that answer as i'm planning to use AE CS3 with 64bit system WIN-7.

Yes, AFter Effects CS3 uses Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]