ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS4 very slow to launch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will SalleyCS4 very slow to launch
by on Mar 6, 2010 at 4:14:08 am

Does anyone have any idea why AE CS4, and really all CS4 apps, are so slow to launch? I've been a user for a long time and can remember when AE would launch in less than 8 seconds on a Powermac 6500. I think it had like 128 MB of ram. Now I've got an Octo-core Intel with 20GB of ram and a gazillion times more bus speed, yet it still takes AE about 25 seconds to launch. The number of plug-ins is about the same. I realize the app is a little more bloated but this is crazy. Ditto for Photoshop and Illustrator.

Anyone have any tips to speed it up?

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Mark WalczakRe: CS4 very slow to launch
by on Mar 6, 2010 at 5:45:58 pm

Hm, in my experience, it seems to depend wholly on your quantity of plugins and quantity of RAM. Since we've already dismissed these, it may come down to the speed of your HDDs or SDDs.

Other than that, I'm clueless.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS4 very slow to launch
by on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:26:54 pm

After Effects includes a lot more code to do a lot more things than it did back in the day of the PowerMac 6500 that you mention.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved