ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

50 effects <5 minutes - need feedback and tips

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jesse blanchard50 effects <5 minutes - need feedback and tips
by on Mar 6, 2010 at 1:01:38 am

Just finished this effects heavy short. Looking for feedback on the compositing and effects work. Let me know what you think and what I could do better. thanks.

Jesse Blanchard

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: 50 effects <5 minutes - need feedback and tips
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 1:51:20 am

Pretty cool! It's a good idea for a short and I liked the exploding heads effects and the bugs were pretty good too. I didn't care for the opening and closing credit sequences though, they seemed like they were from a different movie. I guess you were going for a campy feel but it just felt disconnected from the movie to me.

I liked the idea of the bugs POV shots with the compound lens effect, but the grid effect looked a little rough. The lenses might look better if they were more organic shaped, rather than sharp angles. Maybe blur the grid a little and apply a glow or something so that you still have the color between the lenses but it matches the look of the bugs and seems more organic and alive. I'm assuming of course that these bugs are alive and not machines, is that right?

The video quality of the bugs POV shots looked pretty rough too. Was that intentional? If the video quality is good enough maybe try reducing the number of lenses to like three or so and making the video size larger because I think it's too small and hard to see the video as it is now. One big lens in the middle with just the edges of the surrounding lenses showing might look cool too. Maybe you could also try offsetting the image in each lens so it appears they are facing at slightly different angles. A little stronger bulge effect with heavy distortion around the edges of the lenses might look cool.

The opening confused me a little too when the bugs came out of the thing that had "Space Bugs" on it. What was that? I assume you were trying to combine the main title with the mother ship, which is clever, but I would have rather seen the title first and then transition to a realistic mother ship (or mother bug) without the title on it. Just my opinion.

Overall, I think it's a great idea and fun to watch.

Return to posts index

jesse blanchardRe: 50 effects <5 minutes - need feedback and tips
by on Mar 10, 2010 at 8:00:42 pm

Erik -

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm going to play with the bugs eye layout a little and go for something more organic. I shot that stuff with a small camera so I wouldn't have to worry about running around with it 20ft in the air, so the quality is limited. But, I do think I can push the size a little more to make what the bug is seeing clearer.

thanks again,

Jesse Blanchard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved