ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Comic Book Page Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan LesterComic Book Page Effect
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 7:16:39 pm

Hi guys.
I've seen a movie once (I can't remember for the life of me which super hero movie it was) were the intro uses a comic book page layout, and moving clips are inserted in the panels where still comic images would usually be. the camera would pan to show different panels and eventually zoom in on one.

Can anyone think of a movie that does this? (I thought it was sin city, but the DVD menu is the only part that comes close.) And does anyone know of how I could accomplish this feat in AE? I'm a new user, so if you could explain lingo when it's used, that would be great.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Comic Book Page Effect
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:01:41 pm

I think Ang Lee's Hulk may have done something like that, but that was a terrible movie and I tried to forget it as soon as I could.

As for how you'd do it, there are tons of different ways - here's one:
Arrange your videos in a comic-book pattern (you might want to add a border to them with Glow, Vegas, or add a mask and Stroke it), put a white solid the same size as your comp in the background, and parent all of your video layers to a null object.

For easy animating, I would suggest making all the layers 3d (except the white background one) and add a camera to your scene. Then you can move the pictures around on the x and y axis and just animate the camera's movement on the z axis to zoom in.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Larry S. Evans IIRe: Comic Book Page Effect
by on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:03:31 pm

I think you'll find some assistance going through the tutorials at as well. There is an excellent one on creating a page turning effect that would work between your "pages" and with the "sure target" tutorial I think you'll find a good basis for controlling the pan and zoom camera you are looking for. -R

Larry S. Evans II

Executive Producer

Digital I Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved