ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

2D with 3D move?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Harrington2D with 3D move?
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 7:11:26 pm

so I have an animated scene where I've drawn a frozen landscape with a ship stuck in the ice in the distance with mountains in the far distance. I want the effect of moving quickly over the ice as if flying in toward the distant ship. I've done this by dividing the space into layers, and having them size up at different speeds. It looks ok but the perspective on the ship should shift as we get closer.

I tried turning the ship into a 3d layer by using the vanishing point effect in PS but that effect doesn't seem to work on the ship, maybe because of the perspective or the detail of the drawing (i noticed most tutorials use a box or nice rectangular object).

I've drawn the ship like it would look in the first and last frame and slowly dissolving between the two, but this doesn't work because we can see two ships as the dissolve progresses.

unlike other moves in AE where you have a lot of layers that separate the distance, the long flat plain of the frozen landscape makes this scene difficult.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 2D with 3D move?
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:51:02 pm

It might help if you posted a still of the image with which you're working or even your project file if it's not sensitive.

Instead of a dissolve between the two ships, how about a morph?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jason HarringtonRe: 2D with 3D move?
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:35:20 pm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved