ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram Issues with Affter Effects CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon MooreRam Issues with Affter Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:39:32 pm

Hi there..I just got After Effects CS4 and I am editing my first video. I am using Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 with an Athlon64 Dual Core 4000 processor and 2 gigs of ram. Also a brand new hard drive. I am a Spanish guitarist so I am also bringing in an audio track. I first bring in the footage (SDHC) HDV into Premire Pro CS4 to render as an uncompressed AVI or Quicktime and was going to bump it down to the H.264 codec (for the web) on the final AF output. Well.. when I bring the footage into After Effects and try to use keylight and a few effects + audio. I keep getting these warnings popping up.. keylight is out of ram.. or not enough memory.. or set memory cash to another file on your computer which I have done. I basically am at a stand still as I can't work. I also try and keep the quality at half just to try and work. I'm thinking my problem could be my low ram and video card. You may laugh as the video card is an older ati x1600xt 256mb which was more of a gaming card. And it was fine for creating my flash website and such but this is another beast. Due to funds I need to find a solution at a low cost. I was going to pick up the ATI FireGL V3600 256 mb. The same memory as the card I have now although I'm hoping this card is more optimized for what I am trying to achieve. And I am getting 2 more gigs of ram.(4 gigs total).I was also going to go into diagnostic mode and disable all the garbage running in the background. Is there anything else I can do so that I can atleast get my video done? Should I render the video and bump it down to H.264 in Premier first? Or do my Keylight and effects for the video only.. and then bring it over to Premier Pro and ad the audio track there for final output. I guess I should ask. If you were me.. in what order would you do things? And will that card and extra ram enable me to atleast work? Any help would be so much appreciated! Thank you so much for you time in advance!! Brandon

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Ram Issues with Affter Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:56:41 pm

Skip the graphics card; AE won't benefit from it -- it renders with the CPU.

HDV and h264 don't work well in AE; use the uncompressed files you've made for Keylight instead of the temporally-compressed ones.

4 GB is the most RAM you can use with a 32-bit edition of Windows, but it's still not a lot for AE. Make sure you have multiprocessing turned off, because even with 4 GB, you won't have enough RAM to make use of it.

If you need more information on any of these, you can search through this forum for graphics card, Dave's Stock Answer #1 (for more on HDV and h264 in AE), and RAM or multiprocessing; these topics all come up pretty frequently, and there has been a lot of good discussion on them.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: RAM Issues with After Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:57:27 pm

Do not render out of AE as H.264. Here's why from Dave LaRonde:
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

DEFINITELY don't try to use H.264 files as your source footage in AE. Here's why (also from Dave LaRonde):
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

(And Adobe agrees.)

If the footage you're using in AE is an uncompressed AVI or Quicktime and you're getting error messages, it could be a number of things.
I've used HD files in AE on my home computer with a 128 MB graphics card and only 1 GB of RAM...it's not fun, but it does work. I haven't tried using Keylight though.

Have you turned on Multiprocessing in the preferences? If so, turn it off.

Other people may have some other ideas for what might be causing your problem

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: RAM Issues with After Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:03:04 pm

Dangit! Beaten by a few seconds...darn my 73 wpm skills!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: RAM Issues with After Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:08:25 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "Dangit! Beaten by a few seconds...darn my 73 wpm skills!"

I consider it a tie -- you get style points for correcting the typos in the subject line!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ram Issues with Affter Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:30:02 pm

[Brandon Moore] "I am using Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 with an Athlon64 Dual Core 4000 processor and 2 gigs of ram."

In addition to the other two gentlemen's advice, I have a concern about your processor. Adobe's Technical Specifications for Adobe Creative Suite state that you can only use a certain variety of AMD processor, and I'm not sure yours is one of them.

It's difficult for me to know... I'm on a Mac.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen CordesRe: am Issues with Affter Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:52:39 pm

Even doing all those things above your commie is not really cut out for after effects. Gotta be time for an upgrade. The moment you start doing anything more than the most basic of compositing and I'm talking really basic you computer will just shut up shop.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: am Issues with Affter Effects CS4
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:04:13 pm

All in all, Mr. Moore, I have to agree -- it might be time for a new computer. Keep in mind that in its multiprocessing mode, After Effects can utilize up to 4GB
  • per
  • core
  • . Furthermore, the next version of AE will be 64 bit ONLY, requiring you to have a 64-bit operating system. Lord only know how much more RAM it will be able to use.

[Stephen Cordes] "...your commie is not really cut out for after effects..."

COMMIE? What's with that? Those were the Free World's adversaries in the Cold War!

Dave LaRonde
    Sr. Promotion Producer
    KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon MooreRe: am Issues with Affter Effects CS4
    by on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:08:28 pm

Thank you so much to everbody for such a quick response. What a great forum! To the last response. I do agree about the new system which will come soon. But I have been working just fine in After Effects CS2 for a while now. Going from AF to Flash as you can see on my website. It's just now with CS4 I am having issues. So in the end.. get a faster processor? I'm starting to wonder for a quick remedy is to render the AVHC footage in Premiere Pro CS4 as a uncompressed Quicktime or Avi file and then go back to After Effects CS2 for keylight and effects..ect. Then use the new Media Encoder for final output? Is this new version of After Effects more of a ram/cpu hog? Thanx again!! Brandon

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: RAM Issues with After Effects CS4
    by on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:09:47 pm

Brandon mentioned it was his first video, and I don't think there's anything wrong with learning a bit before you spend a lot.

That said, the other posters are right on -- this computer is lacking the horsepower you'll need down the road. For now, you might find the experience a lot smoother if you downconvert all your footage first and work at a standard definition resolution instead of HD.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Brandon MooreRe: RAM Issues with After Effects CS4
    by on Mar 5, 2010 at 10:14:43 pm

Thank you Walter. I will now jump off my balconey! Just kidden..lol. Advise well taken and again..so appreciated. I will try and pull it off somehow and then down convert from there and start saving $$.

Brandon

Return to posts index

Stephen CordesRe: RAM Issues with After Effects CS4
    by on Mar 5, 2010 at 11:22:12 pm

At the end of the day it comes down to what you can afford and everyone on here will tell you to buy the best you can afford first time which is certainly the advice I got when first posting. Oh and make sure your motherboard has plenty of RAM slots you are so going to need it. You want a decent processor and definitely a 64 bit operating system so that in the meantime before CS5 comes out you can at least use 4gb per core.

I do a lot of on the move work and my power horse of a laptop with 64 bit processor, 4gb ram (upgraded to 8) and a relatively decent dual core processor does me fine and only cost me £650 and with the added bonus of a firewire port I invested in a fast external hard-drive I can take with me to speed up access times. It's nothing like my desktop indoors but better than most home users have, if you get my drift.

In the meantime, if you don't mind waiting while you do a bit of render work, pre-render out footage, use proxies and pre-render ram intensive effects. It will be time consuming but you will instantly see benefits.

These guys on here are great and got me where I am today with the general set-up with equipment and workflow techniques.

Dave - sorry about the cold age typing, the cons of doing it on a phone!

Return to posts index

Brandon MooreRe: RAM Issues with After Effects CS4
    by on Mar 6, 2010 at 3:46:54 am

O.k. thank you Stephen. Everyone has given me great advice and I'm so glad I came here. I was about to waste money trying to upgrade this dinasour when I need to think about 64-bit and getting a whole new system for the future. I will just take my time and do some pre-rendering and then bring it all together. Thanks again! Brandon

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Ram Issues with Affter Effects CS4
    by on Mar 6, 2010 at 2:33:58 am

[Dave LaRonde] "Specifications for Adobe Creative Suite state that you can only use a certain variety of AMD processor"

He should be ok; the specs require support for the SSE2 instruction set; the Athlon 64 was the first AMD chip to support it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Brandon MooreRe: Ram Issues with Affter Effects CS4
    by on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:19:28 am

Update:

Well..it's 3am and I got a work around and can keep it at high quality. I put the system in Diagnostic mode and did not get one freeze or ram warning! I am doing as suggested though and pre-rendering the different parts and then bringing them together for the final pass in Premier pro. I'm adding the music there. Thanx again! Brandon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]