ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Temporarily unparenting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Temporarily unparenting
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:22:22 pm

Probably something i should know or have forgotten, but when you have a zillion layers parented to one layer, and then you decide you need to adjust the position, scale, etc. of that one layer, is there a way to temporarily "un-parent" or adjust the one layer without all the other layers adjusting?

Also, related only to the word "parent", we just had a baby girl and need a cool name for her! Preferably before we leave the hospital. :)

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: Temporarily unparenting
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:31:59 pm

Precompose the parent layer, leaving all attributes in the main comp.
Lock your current window, double click your precomp layer, and make your adjustments.

For a cool name, I like Zoë.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:29:42 pm

[Bret Williams] "....you need to adjust the position, scale, etc. of that one layer, is there a way to temporarily "un-parent" or adjust the one layer without all the other layers adjusting? "

If it's a child layer -- with no expressions or keyframes that would affect the translation properties -- you can simply make the change.

I like girls' names that are traditional AND will sound appropriate whether they're three or thirty-three -- yet aren't used very often. I can only imagine that forty-five years hence, a woman named something like Kayliee will wonder what her parents were thinking.

Thus, I cast my vote for "Andrea". And congratulations to you and your wife! You're starting on a brand-new adventure that will last the rest of your life.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 5, 2010 at 6:08:38 pm

Use the properties found in Effects>Disort>Transform to make the required changes to the parent layer without affecting its children.

Congratulations to yourself and the wifey on the baby. If you're an ardent AE fan, then Dave is the name you want to name the child - regardless if it's a boy or a girl. ;-)

Cheers
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 6, 2010 at 5:08:29 am

Thanks all! I was able to un-parent about 20 layers, and then make the change to the parent, a little x axis shift, and then reparent. I think as long as you don't move the playhead you're good, or maybe I had just patented them out of convenience. It was a large comp that had gotten out of hand.

In the future though I think the precomposing would be the safest practice. I guess I wasn't really thinking about precomposing after it's already been patented, but should work fine. The layer is a parent, not a child.

Thanks for the girl names! Andrea Zoe Williams. I'll have to pass on Dave. :)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:33:48 pm

I don't have a full workflow to contribute, but I will mention that the "Select Children" command could be useful in this scenario :) Right click the parent layer to do this.

I should mention that it will select its childrens' children as well.

Congratulations on the new baby girl!

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]