ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Apply Tracking Data to Masks?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Oster
Apply Tracking Data to Masks?
on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:43:20 am

Hey, folks. I have some tracking points on a green screen that I need to mask out (stupid color choice), but the camera is hand-held and moving throughout the piece.

Is there a way to mask out each point, track the motion, and apply that data to my masks so they follow the tracking points? Then I would just need to adjust for when the actors cross in front. It would make my life a lot easier...

As always, thanks for ANY help!

- Dan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Apply Tracking Data to Masks?
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:39:02 am

You can apply the tracking data to a solid-color layer with your masks applied and use that layer as a track matte.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dan Oster
on Mar 5, 2010 at 9:59:21 am

Thanks, gentlemen. This forum is always a great help!

Todd, can you take more through your suggestion in a bit more detail? This involves the TrkMat menu I assume?

- Dan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:03:00 pm

> Todd, can you take more through your suggestion in a bit more detail? This involves the TrkMat menu I assume?

More information on track mattes in general and on rotoscoping (which this is a kind of):

"Track mattes and traveling mattes"

"Rotoscoping introduction and resources"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dan Oster
on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:42:17 am

Seems simple enough. Thanks again for the help!

- Dan

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:55:13 am

Or you could clone out the tracking points.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

Rob Webster
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:36:15 am

Check aescripts.com/tracker2mask. It seems like this script would do what you're looking for. Or check out aescripts.com/maskstolayers. It seems like this would move a mask to a layer (as a normal solid, I suppose?) and you could then parent that layer to a null that has the tracking data. This layer could then be used as a track matte to mask out your tracking points.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 5, 2010 at 6:57:04 am

I believe the method that Todd stated is pretty much the standard; and deservedly so for its simplicity and effectiveness, the others involving unnecessary steps. No nulls or expressions needed.

A null would come in handy if you needed to match motion to a layer offset from the position of the tracker, and an expression would be the ticket if you wanted to give it some drag, gravity, random wiggle or whatnot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]