ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

file path problem between mac and PC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Crooksfile path problem between mac and PC
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:42:57 pm

I'm having some issues with file paths, done a lot of searching online, here and at adobe and no answers to be found (though the same question has been asked a few times though).

I'm working on projects on a MAC and then collecting files (project only) to a watch folder on a PC for rendering.
Most of the really big files (.R3D) are located locally on the PC but a few files are on a server.
I can work on them fine on my Mac but when the project comes across to the PC it can find the files located on one of its drives (the same drive as the project source folder) but loses the filepath to the server and to the other internal drive as well.
I have to open the project on the PC and repoint to the missing footage and then save which is a real pain in the #@$% and kind of defeats the purpose of the distributed rendering.

how can I set absolute paths for the PCs from my MAC ????

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: file path problem between mac and PC
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:47:06 pm

See if this page helps:

"Cross-platform project considerations"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Daniel CrooksRe: file path problem between mac and PC
by on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:08:21 am

Hi Todd

thanks for the quick response.
I had read this and considered moving everything to the same drive as the project file but it is WAY more convenient to store the shared files on the server.
It's kind of annoying as it works fine going from the PC to the MAC but not the other way. I.e. If I import a footage item from the server into my project on the PC and save the project , then open that project on the MAC it has no problem finding the footage on the server, but the other way it gets lost...

Return to posts index

Daniel CrooksRe: file path problem between mac and PC
by on Mar 10, 2010 at 12:59:00 am

for anyone who has searched there way here, this from Mylenium over at the adobe forums... bummer.

"You simply can't. Network path resolution is completely different between both operating systems which relates to how the generally mount external resources within their normal file tree (Mac) vs. as independent virtual devices (PC). Nothing you can change or influence. You could use specific Mac emulation software on the PC end, though, and exclusively run the server in Mac mode. The emulation would then take care to remap file paths in a Mac-friendly way which would take care of your issue, presumably.

Return to posts index

John JonesRe: file path problem between mac and PC
by on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:03:08 pm

This is the method in After Effects, I am pretty sure that it can work in the rest of the adobe suite as well.

All you need to do to get the paths to update to windows format is to:

1. Select "Save as xml" and save an .aepx.

2. Open the .aepx in text edit.

3. Perform a find for "/Volumes" and replace with "//" (for example I have the drive as a network drive on the pc so I swap the to the name of my mac as that is the path on the pc machine)

4. Perform another find for "MacPOSIX" and replace with "Win"

5. Save your file and you will be able to open in on a pc with all the files online.

Disclaimer, I built this to work on my set up using a mac server and a pc render farm for after effects. Please back up your projects before opening them and editing them.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to do the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved