ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dumb question- Window off screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Mullins
Dumb question- Window off screen
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:19:10 pm

Hi. This may be a dumb question but...

My AE window is stuff "off the screen" on the top and left, and I can't see my project panel, etc, and can't drag the workspace back to the middle of the screen.
Help?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
Re: Dumb question- Window off screen
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:42:55 pm

If you're on a Mac you can try Window > Workspace and then try a few of those options and see if it helps. Or maybe "reset Standard" will do it.

you could also try to set your monitor to a different resolution and see if the window will reposition itself..

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Julie Mullins
on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:44:39 pm

thank you!

Return to posts index

bruce gionet
on Feb 6, 2015 at 4:06:59 pm

"No such thing as a dumb question", as I have always told students. This happens to me all the time, with FCP also.

I work on a MacBook Pro; at home or in a properly equipped studio I connect a larger monitor as a dual desktop, and elsewhere I am on just the laptop display, for quick comps.

I have never found a easy fix, although there are a couple apps out there that help -- one is Moom, which I tried, but I have this reluctance to run other apps while in AE or FCP, which are memory hogs.

Set up the best possible workspace for the project you are in, then assign a hotkey to it. I often need to have different workspaces for different projects, and use "Standard" when using the on-board display at a coffee shop or wherever.

Return to posts index

Bruce Wainer
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:04:58 am

Or on Windows, right click the window's taskbar icon (button? label? I don't know what to call it. The part of the taskbar that represents the AE window, with it's icon and name [or just icon in Win 7]). Click on 'move', then use the arrow keys to reposition the window.

Return to posts index

bruce gionet
on Sep 23, 2012 at 5:18:57 pm

Not so dumb, I find this a really annoying Mac "feature" in general, that you can't move the window by moving any edge of it, just the top bar, so if that is off screen, you are screwed, and sometimes different workspaces in AE just make it worse. any other ideas for quick solutions. this constantly happens, bugs me to no end.

Return to posts index

Akira Chan
on May 14, 2015 at 12:38:45 am

*FIX! for mac users

I was having the same issue and finally got adobe support to remotely fix it.
I watched them do this:

Close adobe programs

In a finder window, navigate to library > user preferences >
and rename the Adobe folder to OLDAdobe

Then do the same with library > application support >

Open AE - and you should see your beloved windows again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]