ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble Importing Footgae With Audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Mace
Trouble Importing Footgae With Audio
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:40:34 pm

Hello everyone. I have an issue happening right where I cannot import any footage containing audio. This has happened with several QT source files I have gotten from different clients in the past 6 months. My quick fix was to ask for the audio and render separately and then to patch them together in AE. What happens is that the Mac beach ball spins for awhile and then AE crashes.

I'm not convinced this is an AE problem so much as a QT problem. If I open the footage in QT I can play the video but I cannot export that as anything else with audio using QT Pro. My thought is that I have some bad audio codec or something. I'm not an expert but I think this has something to do with the endian format?

Any comments to lead to more research or a solution would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Trouble Importing Footage With Audio
on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:32:35 am

It's a codec problem. Those files are doubtlessly mpeg files -- very lossy codecs, incidentally -- and mpeg gives AE fits. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mace
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:41:34 am

ok so if that is the case how do I convert them? As I was saying I can't export out of Quicktime Pro. Is there a codec I can get if that's the issue?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 6, 2010 at 12:51:23 am

MPEG Streamclip is the software for you. You can convert to any AE-friendly QT codec on your machine (dont forget to include audio tracks), it's FREE and it's just a google away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]