ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

In need of inspiration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxime MarquisIn need of inspiration
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:07:54 pm

I'm working on a music video in which a doll transforms in a real human being. I have 2-3 shots of the doll in front of a green screen and 2-3 shots of the real human (dressed like the doll), also in front of a green screen.

The director wants a transition between the two shots.I tried many ways and no one really gives me a satisfying result. Any ideas, tutorials, effects I could use (It could be with particles but I don't have trapcode) . I know it's vague and it's not the usual post, but I really need inspiration.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: In need of inspiration
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:32:30 pm

You're right; that is vague. It leaves the door wide open for a ton of options.

If the doll is supposed to be transforming into a human, a simple morph couldn't hurt. That tutorial is from AE version 5 (the current version is 9), but the underlying principle is the same. You might want to add one or two things to spice it up.

If you want more of a butterfly-coming-out-of-a-cocoon effect, you could go with this disintegration tutorial or this one. Disintegrate the doll to reveal the human within. You might want two layers of disintegration and sandwhich the human between them. The back layer should be the same colors as the back of the doll so you might want to do some quick and dirty cloning to make it look like that, but you don't have to be too careful because you're only going to see the disintegrated bits of it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Elad MenasheRe: In need of inspiration
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:34:09 pm

Try Re:Flex, a morph/warp plug-in from revision FX:

or you can see this tutorial:

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: In need of inspiration
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:34:25 pm

Let's see, do I have this right? This video has already been shot, correct?

Did you do any research into how you might accomplish this effect prior to shooting? Did you run any tests to see if your research into the effect was on the right track?

So did either you or the director have ANY CLUE WHATSOEVER about how you were going to pull off this transition before you shot it, or did you take it as an article of faith that a miracle would happen?

Seems to me you're now stuck between a rock and a hard place:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved