ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Deliberately drop frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary dumbillDeliberately drop frames
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:57:45 am

Hi, apologies if this has been covered before, I can't seem to find it on here.
I'm producing some graphics incorporating live footage in AE. With the live footage (25fps) I'm looking to deliberately drop frames to give it a feel and look similar to a fast sequence of photos, but keep the same speed of the original footage. I hope this makes sense.
Something similar to these

Oh and the footage on the second clip, not the effects!
So far my best guess was interpreting the footage and making the frame rate something like 5- and then stretching the clip to only 20% of its size on the time line, thus compensating for the reduction in frames....but it doesn't work.
Thanks for any advice ....

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Deliberately drop frames
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:49:18 pm

Posterize time?

Or: Apply time remapping and make keyframes at the frames you want to keep where they are. For freeze frames, make those hold keyframes. Make the graph editor visible. Mess with the graph, adding new keys, but making sure you don't touch the keyframes you made at the "keep" locations.

Note that after a hold frame, the value graph would be flat, then just before a "keep" keyframe, the graph would either slope up steeply (fast catch-up motion) or jump up immediately to show the next frame.

I hope that makes sense.
Just realize that the value of a time remapping graph is the frame being shown. If you imagine the movie as a series of stills that can be shown however you want, it might be easier.

Return to posts index

gary dumbillRe: Deliberately drop frames
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:56:54 pm

Posterize time works perfectly, I had no idea this preset existed and now i feel stupid!!
Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved