ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jagged AE Titles at off Angles!!?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
Jagged AE Titles at off Angles!!?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:59:52 pm

I have tried searching the forums and cannot find another example. I have worked in AE for years and never had this problem. When an AE camera gets to close to AE text, and at a certain angle, my text starts to pixelate and get blocky around the edges. Rasterize is on and I tried replacing the text with an Illustrator outlined copy as well and it still happens. The resolution of the layer is set to Best. Even having After Effects outline the text to a shape layer, it still occurs. I also turned the resolution of the EPS Option under "Interpret footage" to Accurate. When you move the camera just far enough away and change the angle slightly it suddenly pops back in to sharpness!? I have never run into this issue before. I assumed that the titles or Illustrator file with continue rasterize on would be resolution independent. Apparently not! Any help would be great! I have attached an image showing an example of the pixelation and an example earlier in the timeline without the pixelation. As you can see you can get very close when parallel but when you begin to rotate at off angles it goes to pot! Motion Blur and depth of field will be on in the final version and will hide some of it...but I rather the question not come up. Please help...under major deadline!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Jagged AE Titles at off Angles!!?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:22:18 pm

I see it's 16x9. It's probably a pixel aspect ratio thing.

Toggle the Pixel Aspect Ratio Compensation switch -- located at the bottom of the comp window -- on & off a few times. One way, the picture's 16x9... but the text is jagged. The other way, the aspect ratio changes... but the text is smooth.

But don't worry -- AE will render in both 16x9 AND smoothly. Do a test render of a short section and see for yourself.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:37:19 pm

Sadly this is not the case. The Project is at 720P, Square Pixel Aspect (1.0), and at 24fps. Just finished two test renders and it does indeed render that way. The Motion Blur does hide some of it but I need to get a bit closer for the clients liking. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:53:48 pm

How about a Continuously Rasterize / Collapse Transformation left turned off?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:57:02 pm

Sadly they are all on as well. I got rid of the AE text and replaced it with an Illustrator outline copy of it with the Continuously Rasterize on. I think it might be an AE bug. I even tried opening a new comp and just putting the Illustrator layer and a camera really close and same thing. Hmmm

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:58:03 pm

It only happens when the camera is at an angle to the text layer...when it isn't as severe an angle it's as smooth as silk.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 4, 2010 at 12:31:13 am

Sadly the extreme angles that cause this glitch is what this project requires. Anybody have any other ideas or solutions?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:08:49 am

Maybe motion blur to hide it? Or, if the camera is only at this angle for a short period of time, you could do a workaround and manually create that edge on a new layer and keyframe movement.

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump
http://www.myr3d.com

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:37:17 am

Luckily the Motion Blur and Depth of Field do hide the jagged, pixelated title edges fairly well at Best resolution. However it's just sad that you can't get so close to text with the camera at off angles in AE.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:50:08 pm

Is there something else going on in to the text layer in that first image? It looks like it curves down as it heads back in z-space.

Have you applied some other effect to that layer?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:43:00 pm

Yes the Text is on a large path. However I have since replaced the AE path text with an Outlined Illustrator version, with continual raster on, and it still has the issue. I tried to re-create the problem in another comp with both AE type and Illustrator files and it shows up there as well. But only at extreme close ranges and at the right angle...straight or 45 degree angles don't seem to have the issue.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:55:33 pm

This is a really vexing problem. I can't seem to replicate the behavior here.

Do you have OpenGL turned on or off?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:31:12 am

Open GL is off. You may not be able to re-create it because it's possible it's limited to CS3. I'm on AE CS3.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:28:30 am

I've tried to reproduce this, and I can't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:31:26 am

I appreciate everyone trying to re-create. Thanks. Hopefully I don't run into this in the future. I'm waiting until CS5 before upgrading my CS3.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:28:56 am

Another oddity I noticed is when motion blur is on there is a slight stair step flutter at the top edge of text when panning back slowly. Some people, including the client, may not notice it but it is annoying. As soon as you turn off motion blur it goes away. I have tried playing with the comps motion blur settings to no avail, any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tristan Nieto
on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:13:08 pm

Little late to the party here, but I'm having the same issue. I've even managed to work out at what angle it occurs (at least for me).

Here are some stills that show it. It's a vector file as a 3D layer that is being rotated back along the x axis:

The shallower the angle, the worse it gets. I thought it might just be a technical restriction on the continuous rasterize feature, but given so many people cannot reproduce it, it might be a proper bug.

Did anyone make anymore headway into this issue?

Tristan Nieto
Visual Effects & Motion Graphics
tristannieto.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]