ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scaling/Quality Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam LyonScaling/Quality Issue
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:28:27 pm

I am new to After Effects and am building a "grid" of video clips in AE. In order to do this I either have to scale down the image, or move them back along the Z axis to fit them all on to the screen... HOWEVER, when I do this and import it into Final Cut Pro, (all settings match) I am making moves, zooming in and zooming out, etc.. and the quality is terrible. Everything is pixelated... Is there a better way to create this grid while keeping the quality of the individual videos as high as possible? What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your input.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Scaling/Quality Issue
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:04:49 pm

It's important to understand the difference between vector and raster imagery:

Once you've scaled down those items in AE and rendered out a movie, you can't get back the original resolution of those clips. Their scaled-down size is now "baked-in."

Why not do all your zooming and panning in AE? That's what it's for.

But keep in mind that you can't do any zooming in on an image such that the zoomed-in position exceeds its original dimensions (over 100% scale), in the comp window, without losing quality.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Scaling/Quality Issue
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:30:44 pm

I agree with Joey; why not do the animation in AE? That's what it was built for. Even as far back as AE 5 you could do cool stuff like this; why would you want to animate in your editing program?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Scaling/Quality Issue
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:34:15 pm

I'm interpreting your post to mean that you are making the animation in AE, but when you bring the footage back to FCP, it's pixelated.

How are you getting the footage out of AE? What render settings and what output module? Are you working in an interlaced video format in Final Cut?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved