ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3-D in CS4 AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy joe roche3-D in CS4 AE
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:28:53 am

Hello Frineds
So I've been learning about the 3-D object functions in PS and AE 4 and was really excited when I heard about it. But since I've been using it have been having trouble with getting them to do interesting stuff.
First problem, I've added a 2-d object into the composition that AE creates once you've imported your PS 3-D doc, I clicked the 3-D tab and my hope way that I could have my 3-D object past through my 2-D layer, but no dice! it seems as if the flat 2-D layer is not interacting with the 3-D object in 3-D even when its 3-D tab is turned on. Is there something I'm missing here?
Second, the 3-D objects are suppose to be set up to work with a 3 button mouse but we set the buttons on one of the mac Mouses and the object wasn't working at all like in the multiple tutorials I watched. Any suggestions?
Third How do you properly bring your 3-D object into a HD 1920 X1080 composition, I tried this and it seems to be all screwed up and to suddenly flatten the 3-D object. How do you integrate these 3-D objects into compositions?
Finally WHERE IS the LIGHT COMING FROM? I mean there is a light on my 3-D object, can i change it automate it see it ?
thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: 3-D in CS4 AE
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:07:18 am

To try and answer your questions in reverse... The light on your object was set in photoshop, either in Scene or Material options.

To put your object in a new comp of different dimensions, you have to nest the comp it's already in, into the new comp, and make it a 3d layer.

Now you can add new 3d layers in this comp. They can intersect, but only as a 2d object intersecting a 2d object in 3d space. Good old 2.5d as it's known.

And as far as I understand, the 3-button mouse is used to manipulate the Unified Camera Tool, not the "3-d" objects themselves.

Photoshop 3d in AE is very limited, and, of course it's not really 3d at all. It's sounds like you would really appreciate the flexibility and near-endless possibilities of a dedicated 3d app. Why not download Blender and give that it go?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved