ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Problem: Exports 16:9 as 4:3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Newville
After Effects Problem: Exports 16:9 as 4:3
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:12:44 pm

First off, Recorded with Panasonic DVX100A as 24p Advanced.
It was captured via Firewire into Adobe Premiere CS3 with the using the NTSC widescreen advanced pulldown setting. Everything looks great. I then take the footage into After Effects CS3 to do some color correction. Everything still looks great. Both Premiere and After Effects display the clip in as the correct aspect ratio of 16:9.

The problem starts when I render from After Effects and bring it back to Premiere. The video shows up as 4:3. I've tried changing the comp settings to widescreen, plus the render cue settings. Nothing seems to work.

The weird thing is, as I was doing short clip test renders after each setting change, they would show up as 16:9 in Premiere. But when I would render the full 15 minute clip, they show up as 4:3 again.

Is this a known issue with Premiere and After Effects?

Watch Little Ninja Project at:

GameTrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/little-ninja-project/323427

or

YouTube:

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: After Effects Problem: Exports 16:9 as 4:3
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:32:45 pm

ntsc sd video, whether it's 4:3 or 16:9 is always 720x486, or 480 for dv which is really a 3:2 ratio, but they have a pixel aspect ratio that will compensate for the frame aspect ratio... many hd codecs do the same.

the fact that premiere is not importing the render correctly can be due to the codec not keeping the pixel aspect ratio data, or due to an incorrect import rule or other import setting in premiere.

i haven't used premiere, but i'm sure there are import settings where you can tell premiere that the footage is 16:9, or a way to correct the interpretation after import.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Shane Newville
Re: After Effects Problem: Exports 16:9 as 4:3
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:50:54 pm

Haha! Found it. Thanks for saying what you said. I right clicked a clip that was imported and saw an option called "Interpret Footage" and chose to convert it to "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)"

Thank you so much for the tips. You're a life saver.

Watch Little Ninja Project at:

GameTrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/little-ninja-project/323427

or

YouTube:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]