ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Diary Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim MorecroftDiary Effect
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:13:34 pm

so ive got this test project, and its an interview..and someone in our group says itd be great to have the intro have a similar effect as the MTV diary intro,(not able to post a link or image right now but utube is your friend ;P ) with the venitian blinds effect and whatnot. and im the lucky guy to try n do it,
so im basically looking for suggestions on good ways of tackling this, i started with the standard venitian blind effect and started messing with the completion and width settings and trying different keyframing for it. then i realized i need another layer(s) of the interview track to 'overlap' and possibly changes in size, movement....AHHH...ok im better now..anyway, ne suggestions would be great.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Diary Effect
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:06:56 pm

There are people on these forums from all over the world and MTV has different graphics packages and different programming in different countries. YouTube is YOUR friend. YOU find the clip you want us to help you with, otherwise it's quite possible someone could be trying to walk you through doing something you're not asking for. Also, MTV has tons of different effects going on in their intros...

I took a quick look at YouTube and I saw something that looked like it was using a gradient wipe.
Make a solid.
Effect>Generate>Ramp. Move the start and end points so the gradient goes from left to right.
Apply Effect>Stylize>Posterize
Precompose this and name it Gradient Map.
Then, on your layer, apply Effect>Transition>Gradient Wipe. Use the Gradient Map as the gradient layer.
Again, without you pointing to the exact video (and timecode in the video) of what you want, I'm just flailing in the dark.

I also saw a bunch of different layers all animated - likely by hand and not with a one-click effect.

Some possible use of Card Dance or Card Wipe. Along with several other things.

Again, keep in mind, I'm basing this off of a random YouTube video on my iPhone, so it might not be what you're after at all.

As a side note, this is a professional forum. It is frequented by many people who make a living in and, in some cases, drive the motion graphics industry. As someone just starting out in the business, you might consider trying to come across better by using proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation, etc. I got my latest job through a contact on the COW; who knows? You might too.

If nothing else people will be more likely to help someone who seems to be taking this seriously. I nearly ignored your post because I couldn't be bothered to try to figure out what you were trying to say.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tim MorecroftRe: Diary Effect
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:49:01 pm

Thank you, you are very correct, and to be honest the main reason for lack of punctuation/grammar etc, was simply frustration with this project and trying to find a solution quickly. But like you said, this is a place for professionals, and even if I'm not one yet, I need to show the proper respect to those that are.

Anyway, back to the project, this is the youtube clip I was using for reference.

at about 0:43 in

The type of effect I'm trying to recreate is with the video tracks(not as concerned right now about the gradient background) where they wipe on and off, but some overlap and are at different sizes/opacity. While I believe I could essentialy create 5-10 copies of the video track and piece it together, I have the feeling I'd be making it harder on myself than I should.

I'm not really expecting a one-click(or even two) solution, but I was hoping for information like you were suggesting with card wipe or card dance, and a possible route to go with those effects.

Again I appologize for the mess of a post earlier, and thank you for your time.

P.S. There may still be some punctuation errors, I unfortunately rely on word processors correcting me to much. But hopefully its a little less painful to read.

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: Diary Effect
by on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:02:49 pm

Hey Tim,

I don't see a "quick" way of doing the effect. It looks to me like a lot of animated masks which would require a lot of diligent work. You could use some sort of blocky particle field as a luminance matte, but you'd be relying on randomness to look good. That MTV stuff looks like meticulous editing and not just random wipes.

For your sake, I would love to hear someone prove me wrong with a quicker solution.

On the bright side, quite often effects like that look overwhelming, but if you plan it well, break it down into pieces, and just start working on it, it might go faster than you expected. Just throw in some of your favorite music and have at it.

Return to posts index

Tim MorecroftRe: Diary Effect
by on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:35:15 am

Haha, well Michael was right, I got a much better reply when I took the time to write a good post. While it certainly doesn't magically fix the problem, it's making me think much more about masking.

While the multiple masks will be repetitious and tedious I'll have a lot more control over them and I can do blend modes to possibly get the 'overlap' effect when they cross over each other. Well I'm on my home computer which cant run AE at risk of explosion, so i'll have to take a better look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved